Overnighting at Dublin Port for ferry (Stena) in caravan

Betsy Og

More international related than Ireland (please dont move me).

Anyone done this?, ferry leaves at 8am so its either stay overnight or fight the rush hour. Usually go from Rosslare & no bother there.

Wouldnt be my ideal place to start a holiday either but if it was safe and regularly done then ok.

As a hobby, I work on the map at www.openstreetmap.org. One night, I biked into the port to map out the streets there, taking pictures of the road name signs and such. Very quickly, a security car showed up, stopped me and started questioning what I was doing.

Turns out, Dublin Port is all private grounds with 24/7 security who actually do take their job seriously and monitor the premises. So security should not be a concern at all. But they seemed pretty unhappy about unauthorized "visitors" - so they may tell you to move your caravan out of the port.

There are many expensive good stored throughout the port. There are gas pipes and oil tanks. They do not want any unauthorized people near these.

Once you have a legitimate reason to be at the port , which you would have as you are catching a ferry , you can go in there.
Many drivers arrive at the Stena terminal early (truck drivers in particular) and rest up for a few hours in the compound before embarking. I would'nt think you will have any problem.

I rang Stena and the girl there didnt seem to think it should be a problem, there might be a charge but no prohibition. Given how truckers operate (bunk in cab etc) I didnt think there could be a ban as such, but she seemed to think plenty of room and not a big issue.

So it should be a runner, cant imagine it'll be the most pleasant of surroundings but, as ye have said, it should be safe.

Back