overhanging trees from a field?

sophie01

hello

just want to see if anyone has any advice about how to approach this issue. Our back garden backs onto a large field, which has trees growing along our back fence. we only moved in a month or two ago and have realised the trees are a bit out of control and growing right over our garden and have the back end in total shade. they are very high trees and are growing right over at a bend and probably growing 6 ft into our garden, and also into our neighbours gardens on both sides.
I know we are entitled to cut down any overhang ourselves but it would be a big and dangerous job and would probably need the professionals in.
I've looked up the details and there was planning permission granted to a property development company in 2006 to develop housing in the field but no work has ever commenced. There is cattle grazing in the field so perhaps they are leasing the land to a farmer?

do i contact the properly development company and ask them to remove the trees or at least cut them right back. Are they obliged to do this if they are the owners of the land? and should i get my neighbours involved and make a case on behalf of 3 or 4 houses?

any similar experiences would be good to hear so i know how to approach this. thanks.

Back