Overcharged VRT

lyonsa3

I recently bought a xsara picasso in england. When I brought it in to pay the VRT, I got bit of a surprise with the amount they wanted.

I sourced the car in england over the net. It was advertised as a Xsara Picassco 1.6i 16V VTX MPV. On the log book it is stated as an estate model. When I went to pay VRT they classified it as an estate model but they couldn't find it on their system. I told them to look under the MPV model and they found my model (1.6i 16V VTX). The inspector looked at the car and said to him he would classify the car as a MPV. When we went back to the office he looked under the estate classification again with no success. Under the estate section there was 3 models, a LX model (3700 euro), Desire model (3675 euro), and a special series model (4547 euro). The VRT costs are in brackets above. The VRT costs for the 16V VTX model under MPV was (3678 euro).
To cut a long story short he ended up charging me for the special series model (most espensive by far).
In the meantime I have contacted several citroen dealers that have told me that the 1.6i 16V VTX is classified as a MPV.

Where do I stand on this matter? I was vocal at the time when dealing with inspector but he wasn't moving on the matter. I ended up paying full VRT just to get the irish plates.

I will appeal the matter but what documents and additional infirmation would I need to send with the appeal.

You need to send as much information as you can find knocking down the basis on which you were charged the VRT (that it is not a special version estate) and as much evidence (letters from dealers, official information from citroen, their website, car guide websites etc.) that shows it to be in the MPV class .... and most importantly a screen print from the revenue vrt website showing that the model is under the MPV heading

... you might think that just the last piece would be enough .... but you should go the whole hog on the info - after all it's worth the guts of a grand to you... elt us know how you get on

I will appeal the matter but what documents and additional infirmation would I need to send with the appeal.
I didn't realise that these decisions could be appealed. I thought whatever happened "on the day" was it, end of story.

indeed you can appeal - section on the revenue website - follow duties / vrt/ general information/ recourse if overcharged (or look for vrt 6 guide)

You certainly can appeal. I did so last year, revised OMSP from 11995 to 8750!

It's quite straightforward yet time-consuming, takes approx. twice the length of time quoted on the website to get the cheque.

I got together the details of any identical cars for sale I could find and sent it all off to Rosslare.

SSE

Can anybody tell me what a "special series" 2007 xsara picassco model is, or what spec it has?

Just an update. I'll be senting my appeal in the post tommorrow. The information I've come up with is: I got 10 replies by email from different citroen dealers in Ireland confirming the car is classed as a MPV as against an estate. I also got comformation from Citroen Ireland and citroen UK of the same. Also I have a motor tax application form completed by the revenue officer stating that the car is classed as a MPV. Would all this information be enough? If not what else will I need?

Sorry for delay in posting outcome.
Forgot all about post until searching past posts today.

Anyway glad to say I got a refund. Had to wait a while but got it in the end.