Overbooked hotel - your rights?

bond-007

If you arrive at a hotel at which you have already paid for and they tell you they have no rooms and they want to send you to another hotel, what are your rights in such a situation? Can you ask for your money back or are you stuck with what they organise?

Re: overbooked hotel? your rights?

bond-007 said:
Can you ask for your money back or are you stuck with what they organise?

...... in the case of Dublin this weekend and the throngs of Munster fans who have invaded, I've heard of guests who have been told the hotel was overbooked by 17 rooms and no additional accomodation had been found. All they received was an apology.

I have been "checked out" of hotels in the past and have always been offered a refund or the alternative accomodation. To be fair, the other hotel organised has always been of a higher standard and booked into the largest/highest spec room available.

No idea of what the legal status is though, I'd guess hotel policy is what most staff end up going on.

Re: Overbooked hotel? your rights?

Anytime I've booked a hotel they've taken a credit card number as security for the booking so surely this is proof of a contract between you and the hotel.