Ovens, Cork

raven

Hello,
We're thinking of buying in Ovens, Cork. The area really is the far west side of Ballincollig in reality as Ovens seems to have merged with it now as far as I can tell.
Specifically, we're thinking of buying in a new development there called Lisheen Fields.

Any thoughts on the area would be appreciated.
I guess our interest is in the usual factors: traffic, antisocial behaviour, schools, amenities etc.

Thanks in advance!

I know the development - saw it at the open day last weekend. I have lived in the area for about 5 years and yes Ovens has a lot going for it. No major problems that I've seen. Ballincollig has a bad reputation but things on the ground are never as bad as the stories you hear. My main problem with Lisheen fields is that the sites the houses stand on are tiny. You don't get much for your 500k/530k/560k

Personally I would hold out for a while. House prices have a good way to drop yet

hmm, the area does seem reasonable to me, - plenty of substantial detached houses around. Seems to be the nicer part of ballincollig as far as I can tell.

Well I can get over the size of the site as long as I have room for some decking and a bbq. You're right, some of the plots are ridiculously small for the size of the houses - some of them aren't haven't more than a footpath as far as I can tell. There are a few half reasonably sized plots available, though none that could be described as "generous".

I would agree with that. You do get large groups of teenagers taking shortcuts through the estates as they go to and from the rugby club. Oh and Ballincollig has its fair share of boy racers too. That's the only trouble that I have encountered.

Ovens itself is a nice area. My sister in law lives there and they have two kids going to the local (excellent) primary school. My own child is going to the creche there and that too is excellent. I'm not 100% sure where Lisheen Fields is (Is it by John A Wood), but around the Kilumney Inn area would be better then closer to Ballincollig. That said, the back road from Kilumney to Ballincollig can be quite dangerous with all those speedy cars, even though there are 50/60/80 limits.

That's good to hear about the primary school. Out of curiosity, where is the local primary school located? i'm not familar with it.

That's good to hear about the primary school. Out of curiosity, where is the local primary school located? i'm not familar with it.

If you were coming from Ballincollig along the Kilumney Road, turn right at the Kilumney Inn over a narrow bridge and follow the road around for about a mile, where you will see the local church. The School is across from the church and next door to Eire Og GAA club.

Hi Raven,
Did you end up buying in Lisheen Fields, thinking of buying there myself but not sure...
Thanks.

I pass Lisheen Fields on a daily basis and can tell you that only three of the houses appear to be occupied judging by the lights at night etc. All building work is at a full stop and there is a huge site remaining there to be developed.
Maybe the builders are prepared to bargain at this stage. Ballincollig/Ovens is full of empty new houses and there is just no demand for them. Prices will have to drop dramatically before they start to shift. Bear this in mind if you are contemplating a purchase.

We looked at Lisheen Fields - but passed. The area is nice enough - good selection of Primary & 2nd Level schools, but I think that Lisheen is a bit on the edge of the village & you would nearly need to drive to the shopping centre/schools. Nearer the village is a better option. I would also agree that the prices should drop. As for anti-social behaviour - don't think it's a major problem, but traffic especially out West can be bad.

I know that this will sound like a joke, but there was talk of building a crematorium in Ovens a couple of years back. Check out where it was going to be built and don't buy anything near it (or downwind of it ), just in case.

I'm living in Classes lake - across the road from Lisheen fields.
I love it.
Traffic is fine, I never have a problem. There is a shop and bus stop (for new green route under construction) at the front of the estate. Super valu two mins away.

If you don't like Lisheen fields here are loads of detached houses in the area (Classes lake, Greenfields and Grange manor) which would be available second hand. I'd say there is probably good value in these developments now.
I'd prefer the layout of a traditional two story anyhow, there is more living room. The three story houses can be too heavy on bedroom accomadation in my opnion.

Fion laoi is another development nearer to town, but further from the bypass, so it depends on where you are working. I think there are houses still for sale in the town centre development, but again further from the bypass.

There is a crematorium in Ringaskiddy, are two needed in Cork?
[broken link removed]

That crematorium won't be built in Ovens at this stage. It got planning over a decade ago and as a previous poster said a crematorium has now been built near Ringaskiddy and one is probably enough in Cork.

Hi Raven,
Did you end up buying in Lisheen Fields, thinking of buying there myself but not sure...
Thanks.

Hi Duber,

No, I'm sitting on the fence. I did sell up, but renting at the moment and quite happy with the situation to be honest; - my budget is getting me more with each passing month .

Re. Lisheen fields, I think the closeness of the houses to each other put me off a little bit and they were quite over priced at the time. They almost seem detached only in a technical sense, with one narrow footpath between each house and tiny gardens. I'm not sure TBH honest if they have dropped much since. The bigger one's were asking 550K at the time.

Well done, Raven ! Nice to hear of people who did the clever thing and rented. No doubt you will be well set for the future. They might be asking 550K, but that's because they're still in denial ! Give it time !

If I were Duber, I'd hang on for at least another 12 months (maybe 24 ?) before even thinking about buying. There's still plenty of scope for price falls.

Everyone to their own. I am from Cork and would just say that the Ovens / Ballincollig area is not one that i would favor.
Too many houses, Too many teenagers hanging around on the streets at night and too far from the city. As far as I'm aware theres some lovely houses going up there but its the wider location thats most important in the end

Any advice on Grange Manor and Lisheen fields? Is there a school bus passing to Cholaiste Cholim? Also, what are the local primary schools like?

Primary & Post Primary schools good I believe there is a bus passing going to Cholaiste Cholaim, but it'll probably cost you if using a school bus, I believe the cost has gone crazy just lately. I noted the remarks by Importer & would not agree at all - Ballincollig is a lovely convenient place to live, but would agree that Lisheen fields is totally over priced, much better value in existing houses. Good Luck