Outstanding Transaction on Visa Debit a/c

Tired Paul

Just a quick query - I was checking my a/c on line this morning and noticed that I had one "pending" transaction left on my Debit Card a/c. The thing is this transaction is only for 1cent??? Can anyone explain how this could be posssible seen as all my transactions obviously are for more than this amount and its impossible to use a debit card for just 1cent.
Any ideas?????

Maybe someone has swiped your details and is testing whether a transaction works, before buying something more substantial? I've heard of this occurring. I'd be very suspicious. Alternatively, have you booked something, like a hotel? I think they sometimes put minor charges through before reversing them after they've verified the card is valid.

I'd get onto your bank straight away and alert them to this, has all the signs of a scam about to be enacted.

Had a similar transaction before my card was fraudulently used to buy a load of online junk,the initial transaction apparently is to test if the card number is active.
On to your Bank straight away.

I have seen a pending transaction for €1 a number of times in the last year on my account, and it has always disappeared after a few days and I have never had a fraudalent transaction. I check my balance and transactions every day and can account for every one.

It never occured to me that this might be the reason.
I must investigate this more,

Just a quick query - I was checking my a/c on line this morning and noticed that I had one "pending" transaction left on my Debit Card a/c. The thing is this transaction is only for 1cent??? Can anyone explain how this could be posssible seen as all my transactions obviously are for more than this amount and its impossible to use a debit card for just 1cent.
Any ideas?????

Most likely an authorisation. Many institutions when you purchase something/sign up for something will do a "test" debit of 1c etc to ensure the card number is valid etc.

I bought something on ebay the other day using Paypal and I have an extra €1 pending transaction on my account

About this time last year the bank automatically shut my account down as somebody attempted to buy something on my card for a tiny fee but the bank recognised is without it going through and contacted me to let me know and order a new card

Thanks all for getting in touch. Have just come off the phone from an extremly helpful customer service person from PTSB ( I'm not joking).
Willy Fogg is spot on. This was an authorisation transaction by the NCT. Booked and paid for it over the weekend and they don't charge your card the full amount until the day of the test (next week for me). This transaction is just to see if the card works. This charge will then be credited back once the NCT test is complete.
Thanks to everyone.

Back