Outstanding Snag List - Builder gone AWOL

Staples

Having gone through buiding a sizeable estension, Io find myself in the position where I'm having considerable difficulty getting the builder to deal with the snag list. (for reasons too complex to present here, I didn't hold enough back to the point where the builder is probaly covered. However I am where I am).

the bottom line is that I need to set a point at which I have to acknowledge that he's not prepared to carry out the work. He's had the snag list for about three months now and despite various promises he hasn't shown.

Some of the work remaining to be done is quite significant both in terms of its importance (uneven guttering causing blockages) and compliance with various regulations (some windows don't open, shorter than regulation minimum, etc)

I'm strongly considering contacting the solicitor. I feel I'd be on strong ground given the breach of regulations. I'd be interested in people's opinions on how realsitic this option is in terms of achieving the desired outcome.

My other question is whether there's a building inspectorate or any related agency to which i could report the matter, particulalrly in the context of the breach of regulations.

Any help appreciated.

What kind of contract do you have with him? Just how much retention did you keep? Who signed off on the stages of building?

There was no formal contract. The exchange was the building schedule which was agreed. Payment was made on the basis of invoices received periodically and approved as in order by the architect.

I accept that I should have held back more but he question relates to where I should go from here.

As I mentioned, any advice appreciated.

To be honest i dont think you have much of a chance. The builder was brought in to do the job and you are supposed to hold a certain % retention for defects/snags. If its not worth his while finishing the job then you will find it very difficult to force him to do it. because there is no contract there would be no recourse through the courts.
Of course you should contact you solicitor and try that route. Best of luck with it

Thanks for this but it doesn't really tell me anything I don't know.

Can anyone advise if there's a building inspectortate that follows up on breaches of regulations or whether these breaches would be a basis for private action?

The planning authority would probably be as close as you'll get to such an inspectorate, but they'll hold you responsible rather than an individual builder I'd imagine. You really should talk to your solicitor.
Leo

I would have thought that if payment was in stages and approved as in order by the architect then suing the builder for breaches of regulations is unlikely to get you anywhere, why were they not identified by the architect prior to payment, perhaps you could sue him?

I'd imagine its a bad idea for you to notify anybody that your house is not built to regulations. If at a later date you want to sell it you wont want anybody to know that your house is defective.
Maybe consider an arbitration process rather than straight to law