Outstanding refund on credit card

emmt

I paid a deposit for a hotel room in November that was deducted from my credit card on Nov 14, 2005. I cancelled the room immediately - without penalty - and received an email confirming that the booking had been successfully cancelled and that I would receive a full refund within three weeks.

I have the emails that I received from the hotel, including one that states...
"Your booking has now been cancelled. You should receive a refund of $100.00."

It has now been over 2 months and no refund has been credited to my account. I have emailed the hotel numerous times since and the only response I get is an apology for the delay and that my email will be forwarded to the finance department.

Is there any way I can get the credit card company to reverse the charge to my VISA account or what can I do other than continue to email the hotel? I sent the last email on January 11 and have had no response to this email.

Any help gratefully received

Any ideas out there?

Sent another email to the hotel in the US today querying my outstanding refund and as yet no reply.

I know you can stop the charge once it hasnt been deducted but once it has been deducted can I get VISA to chargeback the amount to the hotel? Do I have any legal standing here?

Contact your bank credit card centre within 90 days of the charge appearing. They can refund it on production of documentary evidence.

just been on to the credit card department and they cant intervene once the charge has appeared on my account unless the charge is a fraudulent one. So it seems it is back to the email and hope for the best.

Just wondering if it would be libelous to post this on one of the travel information sites warning others about the difficulty I have been experiencing trying to get my money back from these people?

Surely there must be some way that I can get back what is mine and what I have been promised - in writing - from the hotel?

Hmm. I'm not convinced the bank are right. You have a contract with the hotel. The bank are party to this contract. You've cancelled the contract and are due a refund under the contract. I know a UK bank refunded a credit card in a similar situation where there was partial delivery on a contract, because they had to under the UK Consumer Credit Act. I assumed the Irish legislation was similar.

I would ask the bank for the necessary dispute form just so you can submit it in within the 90 day period, even if they claim they won't pay out. You should also check what their nofication period is -- it turns out for some (or perhaps all) banks you have to report it within 60 days, which would mean you are too late.

I had a similar problem with a travel agency on line based in France that debited my card and then cancelled the transaction themselves. It took over 4 months of faxing and phonecalls and threats of "litige" which the French hate before I finally got a refund. My bank had advised me however that once I written documentation from the adency admitting there had been an error on their part and that they were issuing a refund that they could intervene and refund me themselves. Good luck

Yes I think the Bank should be able to help with this. VISA or whoever the card is have very strict rules about all this. You may have talked to the wrong person in the Bank. The branch folk may not be au-fait with all this.

Back