Outstanding planning contribution

Hairyslug

We are in the process of moving house, gone sale agreed on the house we are buying and selling.
We have mortgage approval, house has been valued and there are only a few issues to be ironed out on the contract (for our purchase)
The main sticking point (which we acknowledged and accepted at the time of the offer) was that the planning contributions had not been paid and thus would become our debt. The house is now 8 years old, from start of build and we will be the 4th owners.

Does anyone have experience in this or know how much of an issue it will be with the bank.
Our solicitor does believe it may cause a few problems but we are pushing ahead because we feel that the price of the house is very good.

How much are the planning contfibutions? Do you have the funds to pay these upfront?

If you are maxed out with the mortgage then the bank are not going to lend you anymore. How did you plan in paying the fees? I always thought the planning fees had to be paid up front to the Council at the time of application. I also find it strange that this is a relatively new house and it is already on to its fourth owners. Did you get the house surveyed etc, was everything ok with it?

Once we have the house, we will be in a position to save again, as the council had not chased the previous owners for it, we thought we would have a bit of time to pay it off.

It's an odd situation I don't fully understand but the estate had gone through 3 different builders due to them going out of business, in the initial planning permission application the contribution was stated, the planning has been renewed twice and in both of these applications there is no demand for a fee.

We are trying to limit the damage to ourselves in case the bank says no so we have held off on a survey until we know that the bank will let us proceed with the sale.

Back