Outstanding Car Finance

carrielou

Hi all

Changed my car 2 weeks ago to a 05. Used my old car, a 02, as a trade-in. All was great until Friday when I got a phone call from the garage that I bought my new car in to say that there was outstanding finance on my old car!

The outstanding finance was not mine. I did finance the 02 car with PTSB but cleared this before trading for new car.

The 02 car had 3 previous owners and was bought through a main dealer who organised the finance for me. Great, had the car 14 months.

Apparently, the first owner of the 02 car, had financed with BOS, do not know who they were or how much is owed, financial institutions do not disclose this information. This finance is still outstanding.

Imagine, i bought throught a main big dealer, they organised finance for me, yet there was outstanding finance on the car. Wasn't I lucky BOS didn't come knocking on my door.

Has anyone ever come across this before. Would you all think that buying through a main dealer, you are SAFE!

The dealer I bought new car from is to contact me back to let me know how they got on contacting the other dealer. They just didn't know what the implications might be.

Any view appreciated.

Didn't think you would be able to get finance on a car with finance outstanding, i thought all the info was held on a central database

The fault here is with the dealer that sold you the 02 car, and the finance house that lent you money on it.

Refer it back to that dealer to clear up any mess.

This can be checked using cartell.ie etc - I would have thought a main dealer would have known about it / checked it - maybe they did and tried to diddle you.

As far as you're concerned, the deal is done and caveat emptor applied - it's the garages problem now.