Outlook won't launch since I got McAfee

Delboy

Hi all,

hope someone out there is a lot smarter and wiser than my ignorant techie self!!!
I bough a PC last xmas. eircom provide my broadband. i got a 3 month free trial of mcafee. I pointed Outlook (MS 2000) to look at eircom and to read my email, rather than having to go in through the eircomw ebsite each time.
all went well for 3 months until the other day.
I renewed my McAfee virus scan software as the trial was up. But now Outlook won't launch. I keep getting the following message:
"Microsoft Outlook has encountered a problem and needs to close. We are sorry for the inconvenience."

It must have something to do with me updating McAfee - too coincidental not too. I even re-installed MS 2000 but no luck.
I've also gone into properties in Outlook and deleted the mail account I'd set up and it still won't luanch
Any ideas.

thanks in advance

Check the Windows Event Log to see if anything untoward is reported there. Try System Restore to get back to a pre-McAfee update setup and see if that works. Try a repair install of Outlook.

McAfee did it all right.

mcafee released an update last week which thought that ms office system files were virususeEs and deleted them

its a right mess, probably an install required, update mcafee pronto to save whats left on your pc see

http://www.newsfactor.com/story.xhtml?story_id=42081

its all mcafees fault they have an office in Cork by the way,.

thanks for the help folks.

I have re-installed MS 2000 but nothing has changed. I've also tried to disable the McAfee security and the Windows firewall but this has had no effect either.
None of my files have been deleted. Excel and Word are working fine - I've had no problems with them.

I'll give it another go this evening and will follow the advice ye've provided. Will let you know later...

Back