Outlook sent items folder size

car

Ime being restricted from sending mail from outlook 2003, or rather I the mail appears to have sent but message comes back from system admin saying

Now I know outlook normally works that it wont even let you send a mail if folders are too big so I havent see this before. I tried to clear out as much as I could and even moved all non essential stuff off to an offline folder but want to keep some mails in outlook. One thing Ive noticed is right click on inbox, get folder size, it lists my sent items folder as being about 20mb yet Ive only a 5-6 text mails in there. Ive changed the view on that folder but still not showing anything.

any ideas?

Have you contacted your sys admin person/people? They would be best placed to explain the problem to you.

Tried compacting. No difference.

Rang the admin people, my total Mail size of all folders is just over 70mb, but they say Ive got 100mb available on the mail server so they dont know why its coming up either. Im waiting for them to net meeting on to see they can spot anything.
That folder size issue is annoying me though. Im currently searching through technet.
If it makes any odds, Im connecting to my mail server with outlook through a URL proxy mail account (new feature in OL 2003). Cant see how that'd make a difference though.

The "message store" may refer to the full Exchange message store and not just your mailbox(es) - i.e. the total disk space available to Exchange as a whole may be exhausted. See here for example. I find it hard to understand why your sysadmin people can't check and explain the problem for you on the server side.

Maybe there are a large number of items in the Deleted Items folder and you have not emptied this folder? Useful article on the subject [broken link removed].