Outlook Express problem

busymam

Can anybody tell me what the error message below means and how to fix it. I can't receive messages in OE but can still send them. I've had a look at the Microsoft.com help pages but it doesn't make any sense to me [broken link removed]

Any advice will be appreciated.

Thanks

The connection to the server has failed. Account: 'mail2.eircom.net', Server: '127.0.0.1', Protocol: POP3, Port: 110, Secure(SSL): No, Socket Error: 10061, Error Number: 0x800CCC0E

your internet connection had its ports blocked automatically for security.

Basically, the door out of your computer that your outlook programme is being blocked by the saftey "firewall" software.

There is a couple of soloutions.

Go into the outlook settings and see what "port" the programme is trying to use.

Then go into your Firewall and open the port.

Sounds a bit messy but its just like finding the right key to open the door to let the programme in and out.

Google microsoft socket error, don't worry, it's easliy fixed and not a computet problem,

[broken link removed]

It looks like an issue with your anti-virus or anti-spam setup. Check you antivirus/antispam program settings to see what port your e-mail should connect to and make the appropriate change in you Outlook express account settings (the 110 above is the port number). Alternatively change the IP address (the '127.0.0.1') in your account settings to 'mail2.eircom.net' to connect directly to the mail server - but note that this means that your incoming mail will not be scanned for viruses/spam.

My Outlook server is also with Eircom but it's mail1.eircom.net not mail2, maybe thats your trouble? When I had hassle with it I went to Eircom support pages and wiped out my original account and redid it. Sorted me right out - hope it helps you too.

Back