outlook contacts on blackberry curve

KBR

I am just replacing my PDA (HP Ipaq 1930) with a phone/pda & am just about to buy the Blackberry Curve 8310.
2 impressive functions of the Ipaq were 1) ability to carry about 2-3,000 contacts from outlook with ease, and 2) ability to make a keyword search on the Ipaq for a key word - eg 'cheshire' and I would be able to bring up all contacts/emails/documents with the word 'cheshire' on it which was really useful when travelling.
Does anybody know if the Blackberry Curve can perform these functions? I have downloaded the instruction manual & cannot answer this. It certainly looks like it can be set up to sync with outlook contacts, but I'm not sure if it could handle this volume of contacts

Just download and install the blackberry device manager from their website. You can then easily sync using the USB cable. No problem with that many contacts as per my experience.

Thanks newirishman. How about the search facility? When I searched for a word on the Ipaq it worked very like Google Desktop Searcg or Copernic Desktop Search - ie it found all contacts/emails/PDFs & office files with that word. Does the Blackberry work like this also?

When it comes to email attachments or PDF's and MSOffice documents then the Blackberry default software is not the best, most stuff can't be opened without buying additional software (there is however great additional software).
I use the Curve mainly for emailing (and as an MP3 player :) ) and it is the perfect email machine for me - just use that additional software to use.
Searching through emails, contacts, tasks, memos is straightforward but maybe not as advanced as a Google desktop search. However, there again is loads of additional software available.
I am using the 8310 curve for quite some time now, I think that the built-in software is not sufficient when you work a lots Office and PDF docs. But good enough for hadnling thousands of emails and contacts. But as said before, loads of additional stuff available.

Well I got the Curve 8310 a few days ago, and it is very impressive. Took all the contacts form outlook easily, and I can switch between SIM memory and handset memory if I want to keep my regular contacts on the SIM. The search funtion does all I wanted. I can type in 'london' & it brings up all contacts I have in London, and it even searches the text in the 'notes' part of a contact from outlook. This is great.

However, i wasn't banking on getting my employer to spend a couple of grand on a blackberry enterprise server. I didn't understand beforehand that to work well with microsoft exchange, this had to be bought.

It looks like the solution is to set up an internet email account that all my emails will be forwarded to & then when I am away from the office I read & reply from this internet email account. It's a much less attractive proposition now. This won't synchronise with my office outlook - ie when I'm away, I turn on the auto-forwarding function from work, I read these emails on the blackberry & delete them. Also replies i send won't be stored in outlook for me. Have I understood this correctly?

What do you do?

Back