Outlook as a Database ?

Madilla

I do some work for a charity whose records up to now have all be kept manually. We have decided to computerise the client files and one of the members volunteered to do all the setup. He has started the process and I have just found out he is using Outlook. We need to hold name,address, family details and history of visits and help given. Would something like Access not be much more suitable in that the ability to interogate the data is comprehensive. I am not aware of such functionality in Outook. What do users think.

How many client/member files are you talking about? If it's only a small number then perhaps Outlook would do. Particularly if you use something like Copernic or Vista desktop search to find info - e.g. see this thread. If it's hundreds or more then perhaps you do need to use a back end database like Access, SQLServer [Express], MySQL etc. but this will probably be a lot more work to set up and administer.

Probably around 100/150. We would however need to extract lists sorted by address for example. Can you do this with Outlook?

ok I'm a bit biased because I do this sort of work for a living but I would not be using Outlook. This is a road to disaster. Outlook provides a basic address book that allows you to enter in contact details and form this you can added notes etc so I would image you member is going to add notes to the details for visits etc. Fine if you have a few visits but what happens in the 5 years time when each contact has 50 visits?

Once you computerise you are meant to register with the Data Protection Commissioner and be able to audit who access you data and when. It should also be nice to be able to record who changed what and when they changed it.

You should be using a database at least Access but since MS SQL Express and MySQL are free I would be using those but Access will do you fine.

On a side note if you were sick you wouldn't get a trainee doctor to look after you or some friend who said he knew a little bit about Medicene based on the fact that he went to the doctor once.

Get a professional to do you work and have it guaranteed.

Use a database. I don't particularly like Access but either that or one of the freeware databases (mySql etc) would be adequate as has been previously posted. Don't use outlook. Do some analysis and table design first as well. There are plenty of online resources to help you with things like database design, data normalisation, indexing, sql etc. Good luck.

Thanks for all the useful replies. I was concerned about Outlook and its limitations so we will go and look at the options as suggested.

Since it is for charity i can design a quick access database for you, it would only take me 10 mins to do what you are looking for.

Thanks a mil for your most generous offer but I have a basic knowledge of Access so can do this myself-Thks Again

I gather a decision has been made, but I also work heavily with Outlook on a daily basis (actual Outlook programming) and I wouldn't recommend it as a database...

Back