Outdoor Garden Tap Kit from Aldi

cullenswood

Hi,

Just wondering if anyone here bought that Outdoor Garden tap kit from Aldi??

If so, was it easy to install? It has a self cutting brass tap, which, as far as I can make out, you screw into an existing pipe in order to get the flow of water to the outdoor tap? Does this sound correct, and has anyone used one before? Were there any leakages etc?

Thanks

only got one simular from woodies last week 10 euro dearer only took about an hour to fit just have to make sure you keep the screw tap straight as your turning as not to crossthread it which will cause to leak on another point you will only have half the water pressure due to the size of the screwed hole

I have one from last year but haven't yet fitted it. I checked under the sink and there doesn't seem to be a run of copper pipe handy to connect the self cutting fitting onto. Anybody know if connecting it to the run of thick plastic piping that runs up to the cold tap would work instead?!

If it is a thick black pipe then that is the mains coming into the house so you can use that except you cannot use the self cutting fitting, you would need to get a T-piece for that size pipe , usually inch to 1/2 inch with the inserts specified for that pipe. Easy enought to do except it is usually a tight squeeze under the sink.

cramped is an understatment i had sore knees back from trying to thread the damm thing in and after all that its only use is to fill the watering can

beldin said:
If it is a thick black pipe then that is the mains coming into the house so you can use that except you cannot use the self cutting fitting, you would need to get a T-piece for that size pipe , usually inch to 1/2 inch with the inserts specified for that pipe. Easy enought to do except it is usually a tight squeeze under the sink.

Thanks for that. Yes - it's thick black plastic pipe. Unfortunately I'm not sure that there's a long enough run of that or of copper pipe accessible to accommodate the self cutting or another T-junction. I will have to investigate further but, as you say, it will be a tight squeeze!

When you have figured it all out give me a shout because we bought one this evening and as usual my Pat's supporter will need supervision!

Just got one of these kits and interested in fitting it on mains under sink, just wondering for folks who have had it installed for over a year now have they seen any leaks? Would you recommend it or would you be better off getting a plumber to do a professional job rather then this diy?

Thanks

Romero ;)

I think those kits are handy alright but I'd still prefer a proper plumbed solution using copper pipework- to do this including fittings and an hour of plumber's time shouldn't cost more than €60- 70 and it should be a tidier job.

Its obviously quite a while since you used a plumber !! It'll cost that much just for him to get out of bed. I've used the screw in DIY system and, provided you can get a decent spot on the copper pipe to screw in the fitting, its the business. Pressure is not as good as a plumbed job due to the small aperture but there are no leaks after 2 years (touch wood).

Ok guys thanks for the input, just wondering if the lack of pressure in the DIY solution stop me using something like a pressure cleaner?

Thanks

Romero ;)

Romero said:
Ok guys thanks for the input, just wondering if the lack of pressure in the DIY solution stop me using something like a pressure cleaner?

Thanks

Romero ;)

We used it for the high pressure water cleaner and occasionally had to juggle around with it to get the pressure up but overall it did the cobblelock front and back.

I bought the kit last year but in the end I only used the tap and fitted it myself. I diod one for the neighbour as well.
Best to fit it to the mains as cold water from internal system will not have enough pressure to run outdoor sprinklers etc.

Turn off mains water cold supply under kitchen sink.
Cut the copper pipe and fit a T-piece fitting.
Use qualpex flex pipe and run thru outside wall.
add a few elbows and you're away.

Basic plumbing.

Back