Out of Heating Oil

Cuppa

I have just ran out of heating oil over the weekend freezing old house with 3 kids dont think we can survive another night can I throw some diesel into to tank would it do any harm.
TTTTTanks

Course you can. Was it diesel or kerosene that was in it already? Kero and diesl operate at slightly different pump pressures.

Should still be some of the old kero in the tank so putting in 10 gallons or so of diesel shouldn't be a major problem.

Remember you might have to bleed the fuel line.

Bound to be plenty of places where you can go and fill up 5 gallon drums of kero or maybe a neighbour or friend will allow you to siphon a few gallons.

Just the same happened to me this evening. Happens once a year on average with me . I just never remember to check the gauge (although in fairness the gauge was broken on one occassion). It is miserable - I have an 11 month old who is gone to bed very wrapped up tonight!
It's probably too late for you now but I always have an electric storage heater or two in the house, just for this reason. Note that most boilers will cut out due to airlock when you run out of fuel - any time it has happened to me, I have had to call the maintenance engineer over to the house to get the boiler going again

You can order online from EMO and they have a RUN OUT option on the form which gives you a priority delivery usually same day delivery or next day delivery. Haven't been using them long but so far am happy with the service.

http://www.emo.ie/

[broken link removed]

Good Luck

I suppose that now is not the time to tell you that you are not suppost to run your heating for 24 hrs in order to allow the sediment to settle in the tank. :d

Murt

I suppose that now is not the time to tell you that you are not suppost to run your heating for 24 hrs in order to allow the sediment to settle in the tank. :d

Murt

Never heard of this is it the same for cars heh heh heh