Our sole trader bus gone: Mortgage, cc, bus&personal loans on SW- worst case?

Tessi

Hi

Myself and my husband have closed our business due to mounting debts and a massive decline in business.

We simply had no choice as our landlord refused to lower our rent and we were finding it harder to make ends meet.

We are now left with two credit cards with a total of €7,000 plus business and personal over drafts of €7,000 and a loan of €8,000.

We're in our forties, have never been in debt before. We have always paid our way and were "so called" sensible people.

We bought a house in 2006. We decided the sensible thing to do at the time was to buy a property that needed some work, so that we weren't getting a mortgage at the higher end, even though we were offered a higher mortgage. We put in €150,000 of our own money when buying the house.

Unfortunately over the past two years we have tried everything to sell our house, just to be free of debts which we find are a crippling constant worry. We have dropped it over €120,000 which would leave us with nothing, but we may be left with a small amount to pay our debts.

To be honest at this stage we haven't a problem renting and having no assets, life is too short to struggle with the daily worry of debts.

We need advice from people that have or are going through a similar situation but who are probably a bit further down the road.

Our situation at the moment is we are lucky enough to get €320/week from SW, but no matter how much we try to cut down on our expenses, we cannot possible see how we will ever get to begin to pay back the bank/credit cards etc. It's not that we don't want to try, we have cut everything to a minimum, we always go to the use by date counter to buy our daily meat etc.

We are trying not to spend too much on home fuel but our house isn't insulated and is practically an ice box at times but we are stuck with it.

We have been honest with our bank and they have told us they will come back to us in a weeks time when we have sorted out how much we can afford to pay back each week.

I gusess we really need to know what happens when we just don't have anything to pay back or if anything the absolute bare minimum.

Has anyone been here that may be able to put our minds at rest or give us what ever information/advice necessary.

Sorry about the long boring post and thanks for taking the time to read it.

Re: Debts and no hope of paying back

Could you maybe put it up on money makeover so that we have a better and clearer picture of your situation? Thanks

Could you explain what you mean by "put it up on money makeover". Sorry I'm not familiar to forums etc. Thanks

Hi Tessi, and welcome to AAM.

Money makeover is a special sub section of Askaboutmoney for people who want to do a compete review of their finances. Posters fill in a standard type template/form and other posters make comments, posit solutions and give advice. Read a few threads your self and post there if you wish.

Ive broken up your post into paragraphs to make it more readable.

Have you considered engaging with MABS?

aj

Hi ajapale

Thanks for your reply and yes I will do what you suggest. I wasn't aware of Money makeover. It sounds like what I am looking for. Yes I have approached MABS. They do not deal with business debt, only personal debt, even though been a sole trader means, at the end of the day it's all the same. In fairness to mabs, they are extremely booked out with so many in terrible circumstances and they did try to give me the best advice over the phone as they could. Thanks again

Re: Our sole trader busines has closed leaving us with debts and no hope of paying ba

Ive renamed your thread title to more fully reflect your question.

Do you have a mortgage on your property? If so what are the current repayments and what is the outstanding amount and the term left?

Re: Our sole trader busines has closed leaving us with debts and no hope of paying ba

Thanks aj
Our mortgage repayments are €850/mth with 22 years left and €165,000 outstanding. We are unfortunately with Start mortgages.

We were only in business 8mth when buying. Our bank told us at the time to come back in one year with a set of accounts but shortly after buying things started to quickly decline and when we went back with our set of accounts, they wouldn't accept one year but wanted two years of accounts. That's life.

We are where we are and we need to deal with it. There isn't a lot people can advise us on that they haven't already advised a million times in the last couple of years.

I guess what would help is to know the worst case scenario and what to expect down the line with regards to court preceedings etc.

Thanks for your help with the layout etc of my thread.

Back