Our first medal.

Ash 22

Great to see Paddy Barnes win his match, so we have at least a bronze and hopefully more.

Thats brilliant news! Fair play to him!

Irish competitors in every other event appear to be 'tired'!

Felt sorry for the other boxer Joyce last week picking up those penalties.

Is it just me or do many other people really give a monkeys as to how Ireland get on in teh olympics ?
On a personal level i couldn't care less.

Attepting to contend the medals in events such as the discus, javelin and what ever you'rr having yourself just doesn't for a second come near to stirring up any emotions in me.

Now if they were contending for a track event that might be different.

Like - even the boxing ? Has anyone even heard of these guys before?

I do enjoy sport - the olympics is filled with rubbish 'sports' though.

I do enjoy sport - the olympics is filled with rubbish 'sports' though.

Please enlighten us as to what sports you would not deem, as you so eloquently put it, "rubbish"

Making statements like this I assume you know what it is like to have to train 7 days a week with nothing else on your mind and making difficult sacrifices to achieve total fitness & discipline.

I never heard of this guy before as Im not a boxing follower but still enjoy watching it. I certainly enjoyed watching this fight and delighted to see him do our country proud and hopefully he'll get gold. Yes the amount of training that these sportspeople put in is amazing and they deserve every award they get.

I probably don't feel quite as strongly as you do Qwerty but I agree with your sentiments. I would be pleased for the boxers that they won medals today but I wouldn't be jumping over the moon. Like you it would be a different story if it was a track event.

One thing I've noticed is that every Olympics the BBC concentrates on an event I've barely heard of as they have someone in contention for a medal. Full coverage , buildup, interviews, the lot. Then the following Olympics when they don't have someone in that event it hardly gets a mention. I can understand why they do this but it underlines your point - one nation could be basking in glory at winning gold in the knitting while hanggliding competition but the rest of the world doesn't care.

one nation could be basking in glory at winning gold in the knitting while hanggliding competition but the rest of the world doesn't care.

I'd be interested in taking up that - where do I start!

http://www.oneinchpunch.net/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2007/08/extreme-ironing-05.jpg (Here's)ClubMan's final heat.

Another great day for our boxers with Sutherland winning. I was listening to the radio yesterday evening and seemingly when Barnes started out boxing he was beaten in his first 15 fights. It shows what persevierence can do.