OT rants about teachers, guards and other public servants removed (AGAIN)

Status
Not open for further replies.
L

Lilywhite

Yes, but where will it all end? There is no Plan B..........

from the independent this morning

"The public sector is the most common source of employment for graduates, while in 2008 there was a significant drop in the numbers reporting employment in building and construction."

Re: 10 things that dont make sense about the McCarthy Report. (OT material removed)

also from the same article

"The average initial starting salary for an honours bachelor degree graduate was €21,000 to €24,999"

i just dont understand then why teachers have to start on so much money!!

Re: 10 things that dont make sense about the McCarthy Report. (OT material removed)

also from the same article

"The average initial starting salary for an honours bachelor degree graduate was €21,000 to €24,999"

Nurses get the same!

Perhaps because they are highly educated and have very responsible positions.

highly educated?

u call a 3yr degree highly educated, give me a break

highly educated?

I would presume that anyone that applied their mind could learn quite a lot in three years , would'nt you ?

highly educated?

Why don't you tell us what you do and what you earn and then we will decide if you are worth it or not.

So much money??

These people are resposible for our childrens education and their safety whilst in their care and you think thats 'so much money'?

:confused:

So much money??

These people are resposible for our childrens education and their safety whilst in their care and you think thats 'so much money'?

We have the best paid teachers in the OECD. See graph on page 58 of [broken link removed]. It's a good read on the link between classroom sizes and salaries.

So much money??

+1.

Also what type of person do you want teaching our children?

If you pay peanuts, you get monkeys..

+1.

Also what type of person do you want teaching our children?

If you pay peanuts, you get monkeys..

Problem being that for every dedicated teacher ther seems to be a less than dedicated one and there are plenty of inept ones in the mix too. So paying big bucks still results in getting monkeys.
Performance related contracts might be worth looking at if we really want the best.

I would be happy to give teachers a good wage from my taxes if they worked a full week for it every week.

Performance related pay based on exam reults of the pupils
Possiblly a weighting given to pay teachers extra for working in disadvantaged areas.
21 days holiday per year paid and a 39 hour working week.

If they want to continue working the lifestyle hours they do work then pay them by the hour.

So much money??

How much of their day is babysitting and how much is teaching?

What's the average pay of a childminder these days?

Performance related pay based on exam reults of the pupils

This is a tough one though - it doesnt matter how good of a teacher you are, if you have a student who is not good academically he or she just will not do as well. There may be many reasons, not just being from a disadvantaged area.

Or indeed if the teacher is not good academically!:D

The starting salary in the UK is 19.5k. ish.

A teaching job is no more stressfull than any other position in my opinion. For all the holidays etc they get, and 7 hours work a day? I would gladly swap.

Or indeed if the teacher is not good academically!:D

The starting salary in the UK is 19.5k. ish.

A teaching job is no more stressfull than any other position in my opinion. For all the holidays etc they get, and 7 hours work a day? I would gladly swap.

Why don't you then? :confused:

Do you know anyone willing to swap?
I already have my Master's in Education (may help), and currently work in the transport industry.

My job requires 4 years 'on the job' training, after the academic side is done. I cannot see anyone queing up to swap in the current climate.

I am working on the basis of a secondary school starting at 0900 and finishing at 1600, which is what my old school did.

My son is at primary. He starts at 0915 and finishes at 1515.

If you average out the hours over a full (working, not academic) year then I suppose the hours would be lower.

A friend of mine is a primary teacher in Dublin and travels 3 hours home each Friday. She is home by 6.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back