OT posts split from Abolish Redundancy thread

DB74

Re: Abolish statutory and exgratia redundancy payments

MOD NOTE: These OT posts have been split from the Abolish Redundancy thread.

I agree that redundancy can be a problem, especially for small companies. As is maternity leave and all other forced payments that employers must make to employees who aren't working.

Maternity leave is not a forced payment. I have never worked anywhere that women are paid maternity leave and neither has my wife. We are due our second baby in 4 weeks time and will see a significant drop in net wages over the next 6 months.

What makes my blood boil is that the government only sees fit to pay non public-servants €600 per week but civil servants are paid their full wages during maternity leave.

What makes my blood boil is that the government only sees fit to pay non public-servants €600 per week but civil servants are paid their full wages during maternity leave.

The government don't employ non public-servants.

That's not exactly my point.

The government determines that a woman on maternity leave is entitled to a maternity benefit of €600 per week but then they continue to pay full slaary to civil servants on maternity leave.

Why should civil servants not just get the €600 per week like every other worker?

That's not exactly my point.

The government determines that a woman on maternity leave is entitled to a maternity benefit of €600 per week but then they continue to pay full slaary to civil servants on maternity leave.

Why should civil servants not just get the €600 per week like every other worker?

The government does not give €600 per week to people on maternity leave.
As far as I am aware it is linked to your salary up to a max of €280 per week.
Thats what my wife got 2 years ago so unless it has risen dramtically since then.

Maternity pay is 70% of your salary or approx €280 per week maximum whichever is the higher. Where do you get €600 from? But I somewhat agree with your point. However I'd rather see private companies pay the maternity benefit than everyone being cut.

Maternity pay is 70% of your salary or approx €280 per week maximum whichever is the higher.
It is whichever is lower.

However I'd rather see private companies pay the maternity benefit than everyone being cut.
Of course you would - we all would - it would be jolly nice for everyone. Do you realise that we as a country are borrowing €400M every week to pay for things we can no longer afford? Your posts seem to be in denial of this. Where do you see scope for cuts in spending so we can try to get the country back on its feet again?

Most large employers pay maternity leave.
Many (but not all) large employers brought in some element of top-up for some part of maternity leave - when and because they could afford to and still make an acceptable profit. I have heard of two large employers who, because of changed economic circumstances, are changing or have changed their maternity leave policy so they give less of a top-up and for a shorter period of time. The government as an employer is severely short of money so the maternity leave full pay should be re-assessed.
As recently as 10 years ago, maternity leave was 14 weeks paid and 4 weeks unpaid - and mothers and babies have lived to tell the tale. I think people should still be able to take the same length of time off but, if an employer (private or public) cannot afford the top-up, then the top-up should be only to a max % of salary and more weeks should be unpaid.

We top up to full salary. We are profitable so we can afford to. If we weren't we wouldn't. The same goes for the Christmas night out, the subsidised canteen, the support to the golf society and social club etc; while we can we do, if we can't afford it we won't.

Back