Oslo

IrishGunner

Ok booked a weekend city break in the 5th most expensive City in the world Oslo for 4 days.Miss Gunner & myself travelling. Have been to Copenhagen, Helsinki, Stockholm and going to Reykjavik later in the year. I expect Oslo to be much more expensive than these cities so is it that bad ?

Looking for Hotel recommendations, got one from here Comfort Hotel Xpress so looking into that. Any others. Also any tips on places to eat, drink etc and general tips..?

Thanks

I booked Oslo too for 3 days in June.

I have provisionally booked the Radissson Blu Plaza,
I am also looking at some of the Clarions'as they include breakfast and an evening buffet and fruit and coffee all day.

I guess if Oslo is as expensive to eat out in as the guides are telling us... this all inclusive option could make a lot of sense for some of the time at least.

Any other suggestions/opinions welcome.

Flights cheap enough on the first screen but its all the extras that bring it up like luggage cost > price of flight

The comfort express looking the best at the moment. Basic hotel pay extra for room cleaning and breakfast. Looks like I will be bringing packed lunches and some cereal with me and I have not even talked about the price of beer yet

Only bring carry on luggage. It's amazing what you can squeeze in to a 10 kg bag. Also

Aware of what you can fit in but I have been caught out before and Ryanair now have their measuring tapes out at the boarding gate. I have seen way to many arguments etc so not worth the hassle. Would only bring hand luggage, if any, if going for a game but travelling with Miss Gunner so dont want the hassle, from Ryanair not Miss Gunner.
Yeah have seen the visit Oslo site and sent of for brochure and taken note of cheap eats bargains etc. Still comfort express coming out on top pricewise location wise and its getting good reviews. Don't plan to spend a fortune there but know I will

Hi Irishgunner, I am just back from Oslo - its expensive alright. Stayed at the Holmenkollen Rica Park Hotel, northwest oslo. Metro (Tunnelbana - watch for T sign) line 1. Stunning location but expensive. If flying to Gardermoen not Torp, get the Flytoget express train - 19 mins at 200km/h into Central Oslo - fantastic. Taxis very expensive also, excellent public transport system.

Friends went to Solsiden reataurant - very nice and expensive too. 700NKK for dinner = 90 EUR each including house wine.

http://www.solsiden.no/

Seeing as you have travelled in Scandinavia, same as me, I would say Oslo is every bit as expensive as Copenhagen

FWIW

Pete

Thanks for that

Yeah booked the comfort express and its working out at about €70 per night which is dirt cheap by scandanavian prices. Flying into Rygge and there is option to get train/ bus into Oslo. I thought Copenhagen was pricy till I went to Stockholm worse in Helsinki and heading to Reykjavik later in the year so at the end I should now which is the most expensive city. On average what was the price of things like beer, tea, minerals etc?

Did you get the city pass seen that it gets you free entries into certain attractions and discounts but not sure as not a museum person but like the look of the Nobel Museum. Aware that I maybe buying items in the local supermarket for lunches etc but I heard they aint cheap either. Checking out the normal travel websites Lonely Planet and Rough Guide etc to see if there are cheap eats anywhere / things to do etc

Room service was 355 NKK (40 EUR approx) for beef dinner including 1 Pepsi max. Pepsi on its own for 300ml bottle is 5 EUR.

"Specials" for bottle of Carlsberg was 69 NKK - nearly 8 EUR in hotel.

I didnt get the Citypass but it does give reductions in certain restaurants etc. The hotels have Oslo Guide 2011 in english and try

When are you heading off ?

I once got the bus from Gardermoen years back, took about an hour to Central Oslo and is cheaper than the train but the express train is the dogs....train costs 170 NKK or 19 EUR one way.

Heading over in August for a weekend break 4 days.

Have the visit Oslo guide and looking at their webpage for tips etc. There is a train thatwe can get from Rygge, free shuttle bus from Rygge airport to train station,or get the bus from Rygge airport to Oslo not sure which one to get? Ok €8 for a bottle and that's a special...This is kinda the prices I was expecting. Miss Gunner did pay €18 for 2 JD and one coke in our hotel in Helsinki so we know what to expect. We are not museum heads but may do the hop on hop off bus or maybe a day trip outside of Oslo. Usually we go to city tourist office to get tips when we arrive and then take it from there

Thanks

Sorry mate, not sure about Rygge airport, I think its NSB regional trains into Oslo.

Enjoy !!