Healthcare costs - not insurance Orthopeadic surgery / shoulder

thumper24

Hi ,
My mum has a very bad issue with her shoulder. It may need surgery. She does not have private health insurance. She has a medical card.
Does anyone know , if she needs surgery , how much would it cost to go private ?
Or if she went publicly , does anyone know how many years she would be waiting ?
Kind regards

Probably not enough details for anyone to answer that question. it will vary depending on the surgery needed. I suggest you ask your GP or hospital for the surgery code which is usually a 4 digit number and then contact the private health suppliers direct, or possibly your consultant may be able to advise.

waiting lists vary per area, this may give you some general information

Ok thanks , a shoulder replacement id say , she has osteo arthritis (advanced In it )
We are a/w app with consultant , just thinking in mean time.

You don't state what age your mother is but I am guessing elderly - I think a lot of private hospitals would be reluctant to take-on such a patient for this (big) surgery; if for e.g. It costs €15,000 (just picking this from the air) and your mother develops another condition while in hospital e.g. MRSA the hospital would be looking for additional money from you if this necessitated a longer hospital stay. The hospital has no guarantee that you'd be able to pay up.
On a similar vein - My father had his cataracts done recently in one of the high-tech hospitals and the surgeon commented (in a pre-op appointment) that many patients are now paying for the op as they have no health insurance and the public system is way above capacity.

In the first instance you should seek a referral to an orthopaedic surgeon, see if you can find out for certain if she needs surgery - probably set you back €250-€300 for the visit.

No harm to get a cost for it to be done privately. My parents opted many, many years ago to stop paying health insurance and opted instead to save the annual premium. One parent needed back surgery. Got an appt at a private clinic. The consultant asked how were they paying/coving surgery and they said cash. Surgeon worked out of a few private hospitals and recommended one (which covered more in the stay and care). It cost €5k and was a success with little wait time. I’m an advocate of getting all the information and then making a well informed decision.

No harm to get a cost for it to be done privately. My parents opted many, many years ago to stop paying health insurance and opted instead to save the annual premium. One parent needed back surgery. Got an appt at a private clinic. The consultant asked how were they paying/coving surgery and they said cash. Surgeon worked out of a few private hospitals and recommended one (which covered more in the stay and care). It cost €5k and was a success with little wait time. I’m an advocate of getting all the information and then making a well informed decision.

That's good - and it cost only €4k if they (or you) claimed for the medical expenses against their tax.

Back