Orthopaedics consultant - private places in Dublin?

dubinamerica

My husband has discovered he has an issue with a neck disc that is protruding . Sent in a letter to Tallaght hospital and they will get back to him within around 4-6 weeks with details of an appointment !! (How efficient). Need to make alternate arrangements as he's currently out of work due to this. Does anyone have any knowledge of other places that provide orthopaedics treatment that could be accessed quickly? He's going to ring Charlement clinic to see what they offer - is there anywhere else ? how about Vincents private or is it possible to go private in Tallaght to expedite an appt ? Looks like he'll need a neck brace or something along those lines. Any help appreciated !

Re: Orthopaedics consultant - private places in Dublin? help!

Hi there, if you go public, it will take months to get an appointment... All the private hospitals will offer this kind of service, I saw someone in Beaumont, but I wouldn't recommend him. Try the Mater Private or Blackrock.. It'll probably cost you a good 160 Euros for the appointment.
If you have VHI maybe try to go with the Charlemont, as in case you need an MRI I think that's the only place they'll pay for one. So it would be handy to have the consultant there...

And also, quite often it's the neuro-surgeons or spinal surgeons that look at disk problems in the spine, so look out for those as well.

Re: Orthopaedics consultant - private places in Dublin? help!

Grand thanks . yes - I was thinking it could take months if we went public. don't have VHI set up so will just have to spring for the costs and claim back in taxes. My husband actually had the MRI done (after spending a few hundred on physio) and is going to get those films (hopefully today) so that he'll be all set once he gets an appt. Thanks for the pointer.

There is a very good neuro-surgeon in the Mater Private - I think his name is Mr. O'Brien. Had a operation on a disc in my back a number of years ago and all went well.
If you go for a private appointment you will have to go private all the way i.e.: hosspital accomadation, surgeon's fee etc. Could work aout very expensive seeing that you dont have vhi / bupa/ visa. Good luck to you husband.

Hi,
I just received a knee injury and have been referred to an orthopaedics Dr. Kenny at the Bon Secour Hospital in Glasnevin. I havent received my appointment yet but I've heard good reports about the place. Best of luck.

I went to James Hospital before Christmas looking for an appointment. Got a public apt- for next December!!!!! Got a private apt for July!!!! A bit better but still quite a wait!

Havana, you should try some of the other hospitals, you shouldn't have to wait for more than one month to get a private appointment!

I think you're going about this the wrong way. Don't go looking for a place. Go looking for a consultant. Talk to your GP about finding the right consultant.

Thanks for the responses - he has an appt set up for next Wed ( I think he went with the VHI clinic ) . He mentioned to his GP that he had that set up and he couldn't believe that he got an appt so quickly !! he had just recommended going to Tallaght orthopaedics and hadn't recommended a particular consultant. I am hoping that if this turns into a long set of treatment or if he needs an op down the road that he could switch over to public - we'll see how things go after next week and take it from there. Thanks for all the feedback and suggestions !

Back