orlando first timer

tomthumb

Having pretty much worn out the beaches and pools of Europe we were thinking of heading to Orlando after all we have heard it has to offer. Only thing is we haven't a clue where to start as regards choosing hotel, location, etc. Any advise for complete beginners to Florida? thanks:cool:

We stayed on International Drive many years ago when we brought the kids there. A great location well placed for Disney, Sea World, Universal studios. There are great breakfast restaurants, a McDonalds etc. There is also a "discount" shopping mall. You will need a rental car though. What I found most useful was that there was a very large building with distinctive roof feature that we used as a marker for when we got lost. The kids job was to find this "marker" when heading back from our day trips. Great fun.

Been there twice - once on International Drive (apartment) second time hired a villa.... much better, very reasonable and VERY comfortable.

Either way, you will really enjoy Orlando - great place.

Roy

If you are only interested in the Theme Parks then you can probably get by with Hotel Shuttles but if you go for a Villa and you want a bit more independance it might be worth springing for a Rental Car if you do get Satelite Navigation. Well worth every penny.

As for the Theme Parks there's lots to choose from. If you're into Roller Coasters etc then Universal Studios will appeal more than any of the Disney Parks. If there's kids you'll probably have to do the Disney thing.

If you are going at a busy time of year I'd actually suggest skipping Orlando alltogether. Head over to Tampa. You've got Busch Gardens with is basically a cross between a Zoo and Playground and a Theme Park. It's got more Roller Coasters than you can shake a stick at. And it's always much less crowded than the Orlando parks.

Nearby you've got Clearwater and Clearwater Beach. Resturants are great and shockingly cheap, Hotels are reasonable. If feels much less touristy than Orlando which suits me.

And if you really want you can drive from Tampa to Orlando in less than 2 hours. You can quite easily to a day trip to Disney and be home by 10PM.

If you do go for Tampa you will have to Rent a Car, but it's worth it.

-Rd

thanks folks for all that insight. I read the links and as much as I could find on the net but its all so big and varied found it hard to even pin down anything specific. Much easier to choose an apartment in Alcudia!!! Think I will give it plenty of thought and planning. Have a 9 year old who wants no where else for next summer so plenty of pestering too!

Well I'll recommend www.orlandovillas.com as a one-stop-shop for booking villa, car rental and all round tips for your stay. And, keep an eye on the Kennedy Space Centre/Center launch schedule to see if anything significant is going on: http://www.nasa.gov/missions/highlights/schedule.html. Unfortunately, it looks like the majority of them are piggy-back launches off the back of a Boeing but from March onwards, there's a shuttle launch due at some point.

tomthumb said:
Much easier to choose an apartment in Alcudia!!!

Tom, I strongloy recommened Florida - the planning can be as awesome as you allow it to be but that adds to the enjoyment - especially for your 9 year old.

Roy

Back