Orlando - August

kmelvin

Hi, I'm thinking of going to Orlando for 5 nights in August.

Can someone recommend a good hotel near the attractions (Disney World, Universal, etc).

Its just me and my girlfriend - is there much else to do over there other
than Disney, etc. Is there good clubs/bars in Orlando, or is it totally family oriented?

Thanks

orlando is very family oriented, think of anything and you can probably do it there. If your only staying 5 nights i would stay in one of the disney hotels. Any longer i would have a look at a villa. Pm me if you want details of a villa

If you're going to Disney during a time when kids are off school you can expect it to be family orientated. I went to Disney the first or second week of September once when kids were back a school and there were very few kids there and mostly couples.
I also reccomend staying on site, there are three hotels called the 'All Star' Hotels which are clean and close so you'd have a bus to the attractions regularly throughout the day.
If you are looking for adult things on site at Disney there's always 'Downtown Disney' where you have to be over 21 to gain access.
If you really want to avoid the kid friendly atmosphere, go when the kids are in school.

Not the place or the season (too crowded and humid) for a couple - why not try Miami Beach and the Florida Keys ?

Not the place or the season (too crowded and humid) for a couple

I agree with this, we last went to Florida in July/August 2001. So humid, rain every afternoon, a three day tropical storm, and uncomfortably hot! We said we'd never go there again at that time of year. (I've been in Florida in Nov/Dec; March and April in different years and it was so much more pleasant then.)

I'd recommend staying on International Drive if you do go, there are plenty of hotels and restaurants there, and it's right beside Universal which I would far prefer to Disney, which is about 15/20 minutes drive away.

We've never noticed a late night-life in Orlando, but then we were pretty tired from walking around the parks all day so we'd have been too tired anyway!

Just an FYI, they're really heavy about alcohol there. In TGI Fridays my husband was at the bar buying me a drink, I had to wave at the barman to show I was with my husband before he would sell him 2 beers! Also, if you look under mid-30's, you're likely to get "carded" whereever you go.

Hi, I'm thinking of going to Orlando for 5 nights in August.

Can someone recommend a good hotel near the attractions (Disney World, Universal, etc).

Its just me and my girlfriend - is there much else to do over there other
than Disney, etc. Is there good clubs/bars in Orlando, or is it totally family oriented?

Thanks

For a couple looking for clubs I would recommend Miami as another poster suggested. Orlando is a bit of a dump and very family orientated. No beaches either

Its a doable drive Miami to Orlando, so you could base in Miami and go for a night and 2 days maybe up to Orlando. It will be a sweaty over-crowded hell in Aug at all the theme parks. Expect 1 ride per hour if your lucky!

Better still Miami and 2 days down the Keys...awesome place.

Back