Ordering electronics from Amazon.com?

F

fish

Hi,
I was thinking of getting an ipod mp3 player from amazon.com - the price difference of almost €200 between here and .com being a little hard to ignore.

Are there any issues still with deliveries. I remember something about some third party based in Ireland appointed to asses and recover import duties before delivery of goods to your door?

Is this still the case?

Ta in advance.

fish

<happy new year> :)

This topic MAY be of relevance:

Just did it with a digital camera. The Irish courier will insist on excise duty, VAT, and an administration fee. Also, Amazon will not ship certain items, especially electronics, because of manufacturers restrictions. I had to deliver to a UD address and the re-ship.
Even with extra charfes I saved about 200Eur.

re

I noted from the replies that amazon.com wouldn't ship outside the US. I chose to go down the eBay route as I had racked up credit in Paypal from selling crap, er, I mean stuff I no longer required.

So purchased a store returned 15GB iPod from a crowd called dyscern on an eBay auction. They offer a full refund if not happy. It's a little scuffed but the battery holds up OK and no real problems of note. It worked out at roughly €240 but like I said it was all Paypal moola.

It was also the pre-september 2003 model which I needed as the newer model does not have a dock, remote and case and needs windows XP.

The package labels began with USPS then UK's Parcelforce and then An Post's SDS. No duty or charges were asked for.

Re: iPod battery life

What about the baterry life on these? I understand they are knackered after about 2 years and cost about €100 to replace.

Back