options on pension

AIDAN MORONE

i have a pension fund built up to the value of 8000 euro.i moved to spain and had the option of freezing this pension until i decided what i wanted to do.i have since moved back home and three years later i have just remembered about this fund.
what options if any do i have on this fund,can i cancel this fund and ask for my contributions back,i was in this pension for over two years and i have been told that if you are in a pension scheme over two years you cannot access this money until you reach retirement

Hi Aidan

If you were a member of the scheme for two years or more and left on or after 2 June 2002, then your money is locked away until you retire. (If you left before 2 June 2002, then it's five years before you are 'locked in'.)

You would have the option of transferring the value to another pension scheme or a 'buy-out bond' with a life office, but will not be able to get the money into your hands until age 50, or on ill health retirement.

Regards
Homer

i have a pension fund built up to the value of 8000 euro.
Personal or occupational pension plan? If it's the former then you cannot withdraw the money early (other than in certain cases of illness/disability preventing you working).

Back