Options if you cant afford the dentist?

muno

Is there a dentist medical card?

There seems to be no middle ground either cant afford it so go without or pay huge dental fees.

Depending on how much dental work you need done, you might be better off to get it done in another country.
I know people that went to Bulgaria (I think) for their crowns.

If you pay Class A PRSI you get free dental checkups every 6 months.

Options if you cant afford the dentist?

What about using a string and door handle !

Last edited by a moderator:
The Dublin Dental Hospital might also be an option.
The work is usually done by students so it will take longer, but they are closely supervised so the care is still good.

See about half way down this page for info on the General Treatment waiting list

How to you go about claiming for the free PRSI 6 month check up? Do you just say it to the dentist on the day?

How to you go about claiming for the free PRSI 6 month check up? Do you just say it to the dentist on the day?

If you are visiting a new dentist, its a good idea to give your PPS number to the receptionist when you are booking your appointment so that they can make a phone call during business hours to check that you are entitled to the free check-up and clean.

If you do qualify then you will also get discounts on other transactions at the dentist.

If you have been to the same dentist before, you will already have filled out the form for this so they should be aware of what you are allowed. Hope this helps

Its every 12 months up to a certain figure. I had this out with the department of family affairs earlier this year when the dentist said my son wasn't entitled to dental assistance.
I had to inform them in donegal and the dentist that any person that has pays Prsi over a period of time regardless of their income is entitled by law to dental financial assistance and that she nor her boss has the right to refuse this,
Found it check this out here.