options for painting house exterior

brian

Hi all,

I am going to talk the plunge and paint the exterior of my house.
The finish is pebble dash and its a semi d so there is a lot of wall to paint i.e. front, side, back, extension. I will be doing the painting myself
What are my options here and which is best in terms of application method?
The standard approach is big paint brush but it is time consuming on pebble dash.
I have recently seen advertised a paint sprayer from one of the big DIY stores, for <100. I could also rent a sprayer, these type may be of better quality. Another option is to buy a pebble dash roller.
Has anyone used sprayers? I have heard the paint tends to go everywhere, and can end up on nieghbours cars.
Has anyone used a roller on pebble dash?

Any options/ suggestions welcome,

thanks,

Brian

I've used a sprayer on a previous house and the results are okay but nowhere near as good as the painstaking approach with a brush. You'll use a lot more paint with a sprayer to get the same coverage as a brush. Just my experience, but I'm now Michaelangelo :)

Hi,

Just to let to share the knowlege on this one, last night I painted the front ,top half only, of the exterior of my house with an exterior roller. It took me 2.5 hours and used 1.5 of the big buckets of paint (the wide plastic ones, not sure how much they hold).
The finish is very good and we definately faster then using a brush.
Note I still have to go over edges and corners with brush tonight, but that should be no more the .5 hour,

thanks,
Brian.

do not use a sprayer,i guess you live in an estate by the semi d.the paint will travel in the air even if ther is no breeze whats so ever ,and will cost you a fortune when your neighbours find out it was you.best way ,is too invest in some good quality drop cloths too cover your foot paths and some plastic too cover your windows with some masking tape.then get an extra long pile rooling sleeve and rool the walls a few times and go over the misses with a brush

Just finished doing mine very similer to the original posters house, except the downstairs is not dash

I used rollers and brushes and actually gave it 2 coats(as the original back of the house had been painted industrial gray and the new colour is white) and the house is gleaming. I used drop clothes for the path so there is no mess and bar one or 2 drops, there was no cleaning of windows to be done. Took me about 4 days in total

Some of my neighbours are also getting theirs done and a couple of them are using guys with sprayers. One of them now has yellow drain pipes as the spray has gone on them and you can see the drops on the windows and grass. Also you can see the small gaps in the dshe where the paint hasn't gone into it

Sprayer will be faster, messier and cheaper in the short term, brushes and rollers more expensive but will look betters and you are going to get a couple of years more out of the finish before doing it again

agree with last poster.
Was advised by me uncle who is painter that sprayers result in inferior finish to rollers/brush. Not to mention the extra paint involved and more problematic, the paint that does not end up on the walls.
The roller was standard exterior roller from Woodies. You do have to lean heavy on the roller to push it into pebble dash, but definately much quicker than painting and superior finish to spray,

brian

Back