options for banjaxed car

B

bunderscore

Our 5 year old car broke down on the side of the road & two mechanics have told me I need a new engine. Do I have options here? Mechanic #2 reckons 1500ish for the job. Is there a market for cars in this state. In my head the car must be worth 3K plus banjaxed and all as it is

could you get scrappage on a new car? does the car's engine have to be working for the purposes of the scrappage scheme or does it just have to be nct'd?

Scrappage scheme is for 10 year old cars.

Allthedoyles, how can you give a price for a replacement engine when the OP hasn't mentioned the car he has ? Do you have any connection to that place?

OP, tell us the type of car and we can help more.

He was making the point you can get a used engine for around 800 in a dismantlers. The other crowd he mentions are not a dismantlers.

I would echo this. Shop around the various car dismantlers that will be listed in the yellow pages to see if you can pick up an engine. Find a small mechanic to put it in for you as a bigger garage will fleece you. Dont be afraid to haggle for both the engine and mechanic. For a 5 year old car this is route I would go, but depending on the car you might have to have a good look around to find one.