Options for 50k investment

Status
Not open for further replies.

coolaboola12

Hi all

I have 50k to invest and just wondering what people would do with this amount of money

My pension is 100% equities so not sure if the 50k should go into equities also ?

I was thinking of splitting it up amongst a few investment trusts like fcit / jam etc

Have you a mortgage or other borrowing?

Have you maxed out your pension contributions?

Assuming no mortgage and maxed pensions, just buy more equities. You can handle the risk and you are a long term investor.

Have you a mortgage or other borrowing?

Have you maxed out your pension contributions?

Assuming no mortgage and maxed pensions, just buy more equities. You can handle the risk and you are a long term investor.
Mortgage paid off and maxing out avc

Do you mean buy individual stocks? I'm not much of a stock picker

You don't have to be.

Just pick a few large cap stocks - if possible diversifying against your pension.

Brendan
Pension is passive index tracking so hard to diversify against that

If I put 10k into one stock , isn't that risky as opposed to using investment trusts ?

If I put 10k into one stock , isn't that risky as opposed to using investment trusts ?

If your total assets were €5m and you bought 5 stocks of €1m each, then you would be putting 20% of your total assets into one stock which would be risky.

But if your total assets including your home and your pension are €1m and you put all €50k into one stock and it goes bust, you are losing 5% of your wealth. So it's not especially risky.

If you buy 5 stocks at €10k each, then you are investing 1% of your wealth in each stock.

Brendan

I understand now, thanks for the advice

Deja vu? What did you do last time you received this advice?

@coolaboola

It would be really helpful if you could complete a money makeover template (as previously suggested) so we can address this in context.

Maybe offer advice instead of stalking ?

You ask the same question every few months and get the same answers each time. Plenty of advice in your previous threads.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.