Options for 50k investment

Status
Not open for further replies.

coolaboola12

Hi all

I have 50k to invest and just wondering what people would do with this amount of money

My pension is 100% equities so not sure if the 50k should go into equities also ?

I was thinking of splitting it up amongst a few investment trusts like fcit / jam etc

Have you a mortgage or other borrowing?

Have you maxed out your pension contributions?

Assuming no mortgage and maxed pensions, just buy more equities. You can handle the risk and you are a long term investor.

Have you a mortgage or other borrowing?

Have you maxed out your pension contributions?

Assuming no mortgage and maxed pensions, just buy more equities. You can handle the risk and you are a long term investor.
Mortgage paid off and maxing out avc

Do you mean buy individual stocks? I'm not much of a stock picker

You don't have to be.

Just pick a few large cap stocks - if possible diversifying against your pension.

Brendan
Pension is passive index tracking so hard to diversify against that

If I put 10k into one stock , isn't that risky as opposed to using investment trusts ?

If I put 10k into one stock , isn't that risky as opposed to using investment trusts ?

If your total assets were €5m and you bought 5 stocks of €1m each, then you would be putting 20% of your total assets into one stock which would be risky.

But if your total assets including your home and your pension are €1m and you put all €50k into one stock and it goes bust, you are losing 5% of your wealth. So it's not especially risky.

If you buy 5 stocks at €10k each, then you are investing 1% of your wealth in each stock.

Brendan

If your total assets were €5m and you bought 5 stocks of €1m each, then you would be putting 20% of your total assets into one stock which would be risky.

But if your total assets including your home and your pension are €1m and you put all €50k into one stock and it goes bust, you are losing 5% of your wealth. So it's not especially risky.

If you buy 5 stocks at €10k each, then you are investing 1% of your wealth in each stock.

Brendan
I understand now, thanks for the advice

Deja vu? What did you do last time you received this advice?

Deja vu? What did you do last time you received this advice?
Maybe offer advice instead of stalking ?

You ask the same question every few months and get the same answers each time. Plenty of advice in your previous threads.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back