Optician services - ROI v NI

Ash

It's time to have another eye test. It's been a couple of years now and there's a good chance glasses will be needed for reading.

I'm aware of the significant price differences in dental services and pharmacuticals between the ROI and NI but I haven't heard what, if any, differences exist in optical or opthalmic services.

Does anyone know roughly how much eye tests cost in the North, and more importantly, whether lenses and frames are much cheaper there than in the South?

Is it possible/acceptable to have an eye test done in the South and get a prescription for glasses (lenses) and have that filled somewhere else, including the North?

Any recommendations for good value and service opticians in the north (broadly the Newry area)? As it would be a first time getting glasses, I'd prefer to go the bricks and mortar shop route for frames to ensure they fit properly and so on.

I really would appreciate any advice anyone has to share on any aspect of the whole eye test/glasses/frames area or having a prescription filled in a different shop from the testing optician.

Thanks.

Please read the posting guidelines.

We do not allow discussion of medical issues and recommendations of medical professionals.

This includes opticians.

Feel free to discuss prices and deals but do not recommend the services of a specific optician.

You could compare the prices of the "chain-store" opticians - e.g. specsavers & vision express - via their websites which might give you an idea of prices/savings, etc.

Not all PRSI contributions qualify for treatment benefit, so it may not be a factor in pricing north v south.