Optical Illusion!

Peachie

I have had the wall between the old garage and the kitchen knocked out to make a large L-shaped kitchen and dining area. Unfortunately to make the floors level, the dining area part (previously the garage) now has a slightly lower than standard ceiling (approx 2.35m) and it is also quite a long and narrow.

Can you suggest any tricks with lighting and/or paint colour or decorating styles to make this room look taller and wider? I was thinking of strip lighting running parallel with the width of the room. Would this be effective? Should I use different shades on different walls also? Which sides should be lighter/darker?

All suggestions much appreciated!

TIA

P

Lighter shades will make the room more spacious looking. You could try using mirrors to reflect the light in the dining room end.

Vertical elements will also help- such as timber pannelling/ sheeting with a strong vertical element. Avoid dark ceiling colours or overly elaborate light fittings on the ceiling. Use small ("minimalist") skirting and use lighting to "wash" the walls with colour.