Opinions on VW Jetta, 1.9 diesel

Carmel

Am thinking of buying a VW Jetta, 1.9 diesel, 2006. Think its a good priced, nice looking good sized car. Have a Bora and have been happy with it.

Any opinions on the Jetta?

Tks
C

would buy the Octavia 1.9 diesel any day in front of the jetta.
better spec,an all round better car i believe.and easier on
the pocket i'd imagine.
Fredg

I would agree with fredg. The Octavia would be the better option. The Jettas sales have been extremely slow mainly due to the fact that it is over priced. People who don't really need the boot will go for the similar sized Golf and save the difference. People who need the boot go for the Octavia or a Passat which doesn't cost an awful lot more.

I would say focus 1.8tdci,way better finish than vw jetta....great comfort,and performance..in fact better than any in the class in my opinion..also reasonable price for spares etc

Hi,

I have a 06 1.9 Jetta with 22k. Sportsline. €7500 to upgrade to a 07. I am sorry i didn't go for a comfortline passat 1.9 for an extra €3000 and a way more stylish car.

Petrmack,
Looking at the VW website it states the engine emissions on the 1.9 tdi are 143g/km while on the 2.0tdi they are 157g/km?
I would love to know more about this whole area. I hope Mr Cowen is true to his word and comes up a sensible and feasible plan.

The same engine in 2 different cars will have different emissions rating, if one car is bigger / heavier that the other it will use more fuel and consequently have more emissions per km. If one car has a 6 speed gear box and the other a 5 speed then this again will increase the difference in emissions.

.............I hope Mr Cowen is true to his word and comes up a sensible and feasible plan.

You are living in cloud-cuckoo land if you believe anything sensible will come out of this. VRT exists for one purpose only, to shaft the motorist and to extract as much moeny as is possible out of the motorists' pockets for spending on anything except the roads.

The Govt CO2 proposal starts by saying any proposal must ensure the VRT tax-take is not reduced. Our Govt doesn't care about the ordinary person, their sole purpose is to get into power and remain in power.

Our Govt doesn't care about the ordinary person, their sole purpose is to get into power and remain in power.

That may be true but sooner or later they are going to have to start caring about the environment. Carbon trading etc. is coming whether the government wants it or not. Cowen should use this opportunity. Even if he suceeds in persuading just 10% of new car buyers to think about emissions as well as fuel efficiency on their purchase, isn't that a start?