Opinions on Toyota Previa/Estima for large family

Toby

I'm pretty sure the Previa and Estima are the same car. We need a 7/8 seater and had hoped to go for a Galaxy but the newer model is a bit over our budget and the older cheaper Galaxys don't have great safety rating.

Does anyone have any experience of the Previa/Estima.

It seems like they are mainly available as imports - would that be a negative?

They only get 4 stars on the NCAP and 3 for kids and don't have curtain airbags so thats a bit offputting too.

Thanks

Thanks, unfortunately it would be over our budget and I didn't think it was going to have much boot space when all 7 seats are in use.

The Estima is the Jap import version of the Previa. I know someone who drives a 97 and thinks it's a great car. Not sure about safety ratings for it. Be aware that since 2002(AFAIK) cars can't have lap-belts (must be 3-point belts) so Toyota simply removed the lap-belt that was used for the eighth seat (middle of rear bench) from the Pervia/Estima . . so up to 2001 it should be an eight seater but a seven seater from 2002 on. Open to correction on this.

I have a 96 Previa(Japanese import bought in Wales) and I love it! I have 4 kids and another on the way. I have it for 2 years and have only ever changed the tyres. I feel very safe in the Estima and can fit kids,husband,prams & shopping.My husband has taken it on holiday & slept in back with seats up. No airbags but has performed well in safety tests.My only complaint is the Estima is hard on fuel(petrol) and tax for year is over €900.We have seen Estimas with commercial tax but don't know how they manage this!