Opinions on this car please: Saab 9-5 2.0 (LPT) SE

Cabaiste

Can I ask peoples opinions on this car please:

Thinking of it as a second car to replace the wifes 96 corsa!

I know its a 2l petrol but she does very little mileage so not overly concerned with that.

Price is the no 1 priority as we have 1 "good" car!

Re: Opinions on this car please

No warranty???

Why would you want to pay this money for a 2l car for small journeys, think of the tax implications. If she doesn't need a big car for a specific reason, bettter of to stay small

I second that if shes only doing small milage it wouldn't be a good buy. The cost of tax, insurance, servicing etc would outweigh any advantage of buying cheap. As mentioned the fact theres no warrenty would be of concern also.

As a side issue if somebody buys this car "as seen" and something goes wrong is there any comback. Are the dealers covered by putting "sold as seen" in their advertisement. Just curious.

Would you not replace a small runabout with same. The tax, insurance and running costs would be higher with the Saab, it wouldn't be as handy to park and no mention of an NCT?

No Warranty !!!!!!!! ?????

In my experience it is unusual for a main dealer not to offer some warranty on second hand cars even if they are not the make they sell new

I worry when dealers won't offer 6mths at least given the fact that most of them are advertising how well they check out their second hand cars.

Price looks good though for a nice car !!

Probably because the car is too old - I think that most main dealers, and Blackwater in Fermoy is a Ford dealer, won't have anything on their forecourts over 4 maybe 5 years old - they'll try and offload then with zero marign to a trader who deals with older cars. Obviously they took in the saab to get the sale but are looking to offload on a trade basis.

Blackwater motors are VW and Audi dealers actually but thats not important. I am fully aware of the practice of selling trade ins to small dealers who then sell them on and thats fine. But i dont think its right that these cars are for sale to the general public on carzone without a warrenty.

If you browse through carzone.ie there are quite a few garages at this lark selling cars "sold as seen" and another trend I've also noticed is selling a car at cash price only and no trade ins taken.

Cabaiste

In light of more recent posts and if you really want it maybe you should have a good old haggle and see how it goes. Garages really are struggling to shift cars.

happy motoring

Blackwater motors are VW and Audi dealers actually....

Oops

I am fully aware of the practice of selling trade ins to small dealers who then sell them on and thats fine. But i dont think its right that these cars are for sale to the general public on carzone without a warrenty.

Why? Do you think the dealers are misleading the public in some way? Isn't it just the same as buying a car from a private buyer when there is no warranty? As long as the price reflected the lack of a warranty I don't see the problem.

I agree. 2.0 petrol seems overkill for someone who doesn’t do a lot of miles. It is cheap though, Check the service history, if it isn't immaculate, then walk away. I would doubt there is any comeback on the main stealers if you sign something to state sold as seen! The garage could be selling it for someone they know. If it goes wrong it could cost you a lot. Check out this website and I’m sure you will re consider. [broken link removed]
And if the old corsa is in good condition and it’s only a school run, shop run car then I would keep it. You won’t get much for it anyway!

I have only seen this car on the net, but I am assuming it is a car they have taken in on a trade in and probably figured they could get a bit more from selling it themselves than too a trader!

My line of thought as regards this car as opposed to another small car is that a 00 corsa would probably cost in or around the same money!

The saab just represents alot more car for the money (assuming its in good order!)

PS: This garage seem to have a stock of cars that they are selling off without any warranty!

Last edited:

I dont think its good practice for main dealers. I know if I wanted to buy a used car without a warrenty I wouldn't be putting money in a main dealers pocket. I wonder how VW/Audi would look upon it.

Interestingly, the oldest 9-5 I can find through the Saab dealer network is a 2003 similarly spec'ed car with 83k miles for 14,775 asking price, with NCT guaranteed.

Something is not right with a car 3 years older being sold for almost 12k less in the asking, IMHO. Not even Saabs show that much depreciation differential in 3 years.

Personally, I'd steer clear, keep the readies in the póca and drive the Corsa to death.

The garages are really struggling to shift any cars at the moment - new or used - due to all the changes happening in July. People are waiting & will probably wait until 09. So the cars are building up The trade-in price are very low 'cos they really don't want them

It may be a decent deal - the garage probably offered a ridiculous trade-in to some one who accepted and they just want to shift it without someone coming back with loads of little (or big) problems - it does have 150,000km. If you go ahead, get a mechanic to have a look - treat it like a private transaction.

My line of thought as regards this car as opposed to another small car is that a 00 corsa would probably cost in or around the same money!

The saab just represents alot more car for the money (assuming its in good order!)

running costs
running costs
running costs

I was going to buy a Saab something like this a few years ago from a non Saab dealer. (Hyundai dealer as it happens). The car wasn't as old as the one in OP's ad.

Everything was fine. The car was lovely, comfortable, one owner, low mileage, FSH, etc. The dealer was only offering me a 3 month waranty, while Toyota for example at the time were offering 12 months on every car sold.

I was in the process of falling in love with the car, but just before buying I talked to my mechanic. Once he heard the make the first thing he wanted to know was how long a warranty I was getting, and he wasn't surprised at the 3 month. He told me that it probably was a good car, but the only problem was that when they break down, that they cost a fortune to fix. They are very hard to work on and labour costs mount up very quickly.

I took his advice and passed up on it. Just for badness, before I told the dealer that I wasn't interested, I tried to get a longer warranty on the Saab. Not an inch would he give on it.

Murt

Just taxed the corsa for the year, and its been booked in to have the timing belt done next week!

Looks like we'll keep it another while anyhow.

Thanks for all the input you guys!

Sorry, just saw this now, but - most of you - are wrong !!!

First of all, from my experience, and my brother on his 3rd Saab - they have low running costs. That does not mean it does 50mpg or anything, but TCO - Total Cost of Ownership - over, say, 3 years, is very low. Especially with a high mileage one, due to v.cheap purchase price.

My brother is on his 3rd 9-5, all s/hand, and his current, a 3.0turbo, is the lowest mileage one he's bought - 65k miles. His last 2.0lpt went to a new home in immaculate condition, with 127k miles, for 4750. And I expect it to trundle on for another 100k without much grief, either. And he bought it with 100k miles on it !!
Ditto his previous 9-5. TCO on the car after 2.5 years........Eur1800. Now that's cheap. Averaged about 28mpg (automatic, btw..........), but had no appetite to speak of for tyres, exhaust, etc etc. Car used to commute 30-40 miles each day. Works out cheaper than a 1.4 Corolla, at that rate. That's why he's now running a 3.0t - even fewer buyers out there for those, so they're even better value - and the car is astonishing.

Me, I've dumped my 2.0 petrol car, and gone to a 3.0 too. Car is trundling around at about 25mpg, but is in a class of it's own, quality-wise, and depreciation is negligible. Insurance cheap, but car tax a pain - 1291 - you can't win them all - but still cheaper to run than our 02 Mazda diesel !

It's not price of the car, and if you're doing small miles, the fuel is the least of your expenses, so I'd actually nearly discount it, it's the whole package.