Opinions on Merc B-class?

ang1170

What are people's opinion on the Mercedes B-class? I'm thinking of getting one. Main requirements: reliability, space, driving position (once used to higher than usual, it's hard to go back), good depreciation. Am also considering the new Honda CR-V as an alternative.

We had an A-class a few years back and liked it a lot, but it did have reliability issues. Have heard that Mercedes have got over these in the past couple of years, but still a bit unsure.

Thoughts, anyone?

Wouldn't know a lot about B class but the The Honda CRV is very good.

All Hondas have low depreciation and CRV is 8th out of 100 most reliable UK cars in last decade ([broken link removed])

Think it's maybe a bit more compact than others in it's class but still fairly spacious. High(ish) driving position and is often praised for being very 'car like' to drive...

Last edited:
We own one. Wife's car. The B-150 with sportpack. There's no doubt 150 low on power, but not as bad as some critics suggest. Good on the open road, but won't win any races. But heck, it's a family lugger.

The overall design and reliability (06' car) has been fantastic. Interior space great, plenty of usual Merc toys - cruise etc - included.

Good build quality and feels/looks like a luxury motor. Nice to drive and comfortable.

Lots of space for kids, and the usual cup holders, folding seats etc.

We test drove stacks of similar cars before deciding on it.

For us it came to this - it ticked the same boxes as Cmax, Scenic etc.

Why the heck buy them for a similar price as a Merc?

Last edited:
Thanks for the opinions, though you kind of balance eachother out in terms of making a decision between the two!

I'm kind of leaning towards the Honda at the moment (bit more space, probably reliability and resale value), but it does look a bit of a pig on the outside (inside's a different matter).

'bit of a pig' ??

Come on!!

Matter of opinion of course but wouldn't the words 'stately' 'restrained' 'noble' and 'classy' not be more appropriate?

'bit of a pig' ??

Come on!!

Matter of opinion of course but wouldn't the words 'stately' 'restrained' 'noble' and 'classy' not be more appropriate?

NO, it wouldn't, he's right

Btw, slightly off-topic q if you don't mind: how did you find the A-Class in general? I'm thinking of buying a cheap 00 version (A160) for the wife, do you generally recommend it? Do you think the reliability issues would've been sorted by now on a car that age or it would've gone worse?

As for B Class, I've only read good reviews on it, and it seems to be hugely improved over A Class, and it looks really fantastic!

NO, it wouldn't, he's right

A snout only a mother could love! I've a feeling Honda agree with me too - check out the pics of the CRV on and there's only one front view, taken from a very odd angle to make it less, er, distinctive.

We bought ours new in 2000, so same year. Absolutely loved it: particularly my wife who was not at all positive on the idea of it before getting it. However, once she tried the higher driving position wouldn't go back. It's the only small car I've driven that genuinely feels like a larger car to drive (not just the internal space, but the controls and response etc.).

The negative was that it did develop an intermittant fault a couple of years into ownership. Wasn't too impressed by dealer's (lack of) interest in resolving it. Eventually suggested changing the main engine control unit at a cost of €800 or 1k I think (by the time it was fitted) - I can't recall exactly, but it was of that order. I've also heard they had other problems. Some of the finishes on these earlier ones weren't great either. We traded it without getting the major work done.

Having said that, I believe the 2nd series are much better on reliability and finish. Hopefully B-class would be the same.

I don't think I'd buy a 1st series A-class to be honest, much as I liked it: just too risky it could be hiding some expensive repairs. Unless you got a good one year warrenty on it (which I doubt you'd get on a 00 car), I'd stick with a 2nd series, or pass.

Think the original A-class was a tarted up Smart car wasn't it?
The latest one is more Merc? No expert on that.

Now the CRV? Is that the yoke that looks like a slug moving along with wheels, a fat slug that is? Or is it one of those jeepy things they make?

In fairness though, Honda's are good cars.

Just be sad every time I looked out the windonw and saw that fat lump sitting on the drive.

Still prefer the B-Class..

Oops!

Last post made me realise that I was mixing up the CRV with the HRV and of course you are all absolutely right about the appearance.

I'll get me coat...

but aside from that, and my reference to it being 'carlike' the other apsects are still relevant especially the reliability...

sorry about the confusion!

Last edited:

Having owned both (A-class and Smart), I can assure you there's absolutely nothing in common between them in any shape or form!

Just be sad every time I looked out the windonw and saw that fat lump sitting on the drive.

Agreed - it is a bit of a pathetic reason to discount a car, though, no?

The annoying thing is that the inside, particularly the higher spec model, is a complete contrast: it'd make sitting in traffic that bit more bearable.

Nope. Smart forfour is a tarted up version of Mitsubishi Colt built in the same factory in Belgium.

Btw, ang, how was your smart experience? Which type did you have? Forfour is another candidate we were considering for her, and suggestions on that?

Btw, ang, how was your smart experience? Which type did you have? Forfour is another candidate we were considering for her, and suggestions on that?

Had a high-spec for-two.

Experience? Very mixed.

Liked: style, driving position (high), "nippinss" round town (could do U-turn anywhere, park anywhere), automatic (handy in traffic), extremely cheap running costs (tax, insurance, fuel).

Disliked: doubts about reliablilty (plus the only dealer unwilling/unable to do anything more then very basic service work), jerky gearchange which grew more annoying with time, terrible depreciation (nobody wants them here).

I wouldn't even look at a for-four: expensive, extreme depreciation, lack of support from dealer, no redeeming feature that I can see. Plenty of better options.

Fair enough.

Regarding Smart ForFour - before you buy one - you do realise production ended last summer?

You may still be able to pick one up - but how would residuals be?

Had one for a week as a hire car in Italy last year - most miserable and uncomfortable motoring experience of my life.

The Honda slug thingy though..........as they say on their website.....

"A people carrier with Formula 1 thinking? It could only be a Honda"...

Ya gotta love salesmen......