Opinions on Eircom League

oldtimer

There is no Eircom League club near me so I have to rely on TV for games. I understand many games are scheduled for TV coverage this season so I planned my Friday nights for good home soccer entertainment. However so far two games have been televised and what disasters. Last Friday week I watched Bohs and Longford play out as dreary a game as I have seen - a drab scoreless draw. Last night I set down anticipating better from Cork City and Galway. It was even worse than the previous game. Three hours of Eircom soccer - no goals, terrible standard. Is this the true standard of Eircom 'Premier' soccer? I understand the FAI have appointed a full-time officer to promote increased crowds at Eircom games. I don't envy him. I heard a rumour the GAA are thinking of playing games at Croke Park under lights on Friday nights. Whither Eircom football then?

I don't think even your average Irish football diehard could put up a defence of those two games, they were grim and a dire advert for the game here.

The only excuse I could make for the teams is that the season has just begun and a lot of new players were being fielded, so it'll take them time to get it right.

But as someone who has fought a brave, if fruitless battle :)o), trying to defend Irish football in arguments about how rubbish it is next to the Premiership, etc, I'm close to waving a white flag. To be honest, I do think the standard is generally crap. I saw 30 to 35 games last season and maybe 2 or 3 were excellent, some were average, the majority were painful.

If you want to see and support live Irish sport, after events of the past day, I'd opt for cricket :D

i watched liverpool and villa play out a dire 0-0 draw. Eircom league teams dont have the monolopy on ****e football....

Back