Opinions on Ashbourne

Zico

Hello All,

We are looking at buying a house in Ashbourne. Any tips as to the good and bad points of Ashbourne ???

Thanks in Advance,
Zico.

I live there i moved there last year it is really getting developed now with the new town centre which has plenty of new shops and decent ones for that matter. Plus free parking with plenty aswell with underground and overhead. There is good selection of restaurants and pubs. Also the by pass will be open in a few months ahead of schedule which will be great also the we have a nitelink also. What estate are you looking at if it is one of the new ones like Brindley park or Cluain Ri avoid them as the parking is terrible and thats was causes people to move as your spot is always gone outside your house and alot of people have two cars so there is no space for them

Hi Liverlips,

Thanks for the reply. Actually thinking of the new development beside the golf course. It's due to be released around February I think.

Regards,

Zico.

Hi they seem like a nice estate good location in the village aswell especially on nights out you could walk home ok. There is new Dunne stores which is grocery, drapery and homewares which also has a underground car park aswell, theres super value,lidl,aldi and tesco and a jackie skelly gym in the new town centre which i love.

Let me know if you have any further questions

Hi i'm living in ashbourne over 2 years and find it hard to meet new group of friends, suppose cos I'm out working all day, and college some evenings which prevents me from joining sports etc. Any suggestions?

I don't live there but have been thinking of buying there or Ratoath. I have been really impressed by the amount of facilities particularly shops, gym, nitelink etc. Also, I think the new by pass will make a big difference -I have heard an estimate of 10 minutes to the M50 in good traffic, which would make it an excellent choice for working in Dublin and yet living away from the city. On the down side, house prices seem toi have already factored this in with 3 bed semis not hitting 330K. Anyway...Good Luck

Alderbrook is a good estate , 4 bed semis with garage are for sale at 465,
with other bidders expect to pay alot more , detached are mid 500's.Nice houses built about 8 years ago 5 min walk to town.103 bus stops @ entrance to estate.Any other questions just ask

4 bed semis with garage are for sale at 465

Rang up about these - one is now at 511k the other at 500k. The original asking prices were a piece of fantasy !!

Looks like i was right , was that for the 4 bed semi with garage in Alderbrook , some money.3 bed semi's are being advertised in Johnswood ,Ashb for 355 i wonder what tthey actually sell for , far more id say.

New ashbourne by-pass opens today.no more trucks/traffic through the town, increase house prices.

Ashbourne has gotten very cosmopolitan in the last 10 years but there is a nasty local drug problem. I know only about this as my brother bought out there and on a regular basis, when I was visiting, we were finding used needles in different places. We only grew up down the road but the change was a shock. Ratoath seems to have a better rep and Kilbride is better still, in my own view.

There is not a town in Ireland that hasnt had some sort of drug activity but Ashbourne would not be one that would stand out , it is not known by the public for 'drugs' or crime or thugs for sure.are your findings recent or in previous years.You say you live near , where ?and what where you or your brother doing buying drugs or on drugs - a waste of a life.To stay on subject it is great to see a brand new by - pass opening a very positive impact and end to long traffic delays for the town.

Sorry fin, while trying to understand I got muddled up in the point(s), I don't know how well you know the area or even if you have a vested interest in plugging the place, who knows, but the fact that Ashbourne has a drug problem is nothing new to locals or even to those of us who have lived just across the fields from the place. It was always a "pass-through" village, primed for commuter-dormer status, and not it is so. A by pass eliminates traffic congestion but there remains problems of an older established group of communities with a large influx of new people from around, and now indeed outside the country, and the problems that local gardai have had with drugs. I don't know if you're a member of the public, but the town has been in the news often enough in relation to drug seizures etc. Again, glossing over it's simple to say it's the same in any town, true, but the question was about Ashbourne as a place to live, when truly staying on topic.

Apologies Almo when you said your brother bought out there i presume you meant bought drugs , i now think i misunderstud your point , i now realise you meant bought a house,sorry

Much accepted and thank you! No, as bad as he bro can be I don't think he'd mess about in his own backyard! I always liked the place, played football and reffed tere many times, but in some places there is a nasty element, or maybe that's the negativity in me wanting to see it!

I have been living in Ashbourne for 4 years, I have rented in one of there 2 council estates and have never seen a needle on the ground! I know it goes on and believe me its horrible but I have seen alot worse. Every town has these problems its just with Ashbourne being small it seems to be more obvious!

I wouldnt mind but locals would say alot of the trouble is caused by "blow ins from Dublin" and I have to say I agree but not all of it.

I love Ashbourne, I know where not to stray just like in town and I am happy there. I think its the perfect place to relocate given all its plus points.

Hi, I know I am activating a dead thread but this seems to be the right place for discussion about the information I need.

I am planning to buy a house in Ashbourne, Co. Meath. There are 2 properties we are interested in – one is in Archerstown area and the other one is in Racehill area. As I am not from this country need your suggestion on which one would be a better buy in terms of:
• location,
• better investment over 10 years if we plan to sell the house,
• nicer locality/neighbourhood,
• For renting – ease of renting and rent amount we can get depending on the area or facilities,
• Traffic situation in Ashbourne at peak hours.

There is not much difference in terms of the price of the 2 houses.

Also if you could guide me about the transportation mode to City Centre – duration to city centre, cost of fare, days of service and frequency of travel.

Thanks & appreciate your response.

APJ