Opinions of Blackpool

ice

Thinking of going over with my children (9 and 6) but am concerned that its gone a bit run down and rough 9some posts here and elsewhere)

Has anyone been recently.

We'd be going midweek in Sept/Oct for a few days.

I am not expecting it to be a 5* break just want the kids to have fun on the rids, visit blackpool tower etc

Is it good fun or a total kip ?

Any opinions?

I was there a few years ago on a hens - we did the touristy things in the daytime and out to bars at night.

It was very rough in some areas. Daytime was ok, I dont recall anything unusual around the main tourist parts - but one of the nights we went out we left the town to go back to the hotel bar as it was literally just fights (with smashed bottles) all the time in any of the pubs we tried and the streets were no better - drunk zombies pumping blood all over the place.

We personally didnt encounter any trouble - but did see a lot of undesirable behaviour.

Is it good fun or a total kip ?

Any opinions?

Its a bit of both. I am just back from a 3 night stay there after a week in Centre Parcs. I had a baby and seven year old with me. To be honest I was scared walking around parts of it while parts such as the Piers and Tower were good...If I were you I would just go for 24 hours and be specific about where it is you want to see...I stayed in the Berekley apts (link below) and can recommend..pm if you need anything else...

http://www.selfcatering.tv/

You could always fly to Liverpool/Manchester return and do a day trip to Blackpool.

Hey Ice I was in blackpool in june of this year.They are doing alot to change the place like the piers and the walk along the sea front are all been done up and are looking well.I suggest you checkout Tripadvisor.com to search out a place to stay over there.If you do go over checkout pleasure beach amusement park.

hello ice,I would have to agree with yobr and truthseeker on their replies.we are talking different circumstances here as i was on a stag night there earlier in the year.First of all sept/oct, have you considered what the weather would be like.Secondly if flying in to manchester do you really need a 45 minute bus journey to get there ,stay in a hotel over night and return journey the next morning after checking out with two kids.While i respect thombom and vor,s opinion at first glance it looked a bit jaded.I am sure there is a lot more to blackpool than i have seen in 3 days and nights and thomboms advice on going on to tripadvisor.com should help you make your mind up.Best of luck,salaried.

You can fly in to Blackpool Airport now from Dublin. The Airport is very near town centre. Bus/taxi have you their in no time or if walking 1 hour/ 1.5h going handy get you in their. Town centre is only a few long streets from airport. Just be awae you have to pay £10 departure tax per person at airport(kids free). plane gets in around lunchtime and leaves around lunch time. Cant fly in/out same day from dublin, must do an overnight. If their a few days, you can always get train to Manchester for day out

I would assume midweek it would be a lot quieter their and less stag/hen parties.

North pier theatre normally has some thing on and their is a fine beach their as well. It should be easy to entertain kids for a few days.

A lot of good value hotels near blackpool tower, also shopping fairly ok for small place.

We stayed in Blackpool for 3 nights at the end of June with 8 year old and 6 year old. We stayed from monday to thursday. I didn't see any antisocial behaviour but then again i wasn't drinking late at night in pubs, so experiences of those on hen parties would differ to those visiting with children. We visited the Pleasure Beach for one day and really enjoyed it. It's not cheap but definitely worth a visit if you have kids. We went to the beach on one of the days as we had pretty good weather. Beach is very long and nice. Town itself wouldn't win any prizes for scenery but kids will enjoy it for a couple of days. It's not cheap though so don't expect an inexpensive holiday and don't expect fabulous restaurants!

Was there during the day about 2 years ago, now admittedly it was a bank holiday Monday, but I never felt so threatened in my life (and this is from somene who walks the streets of Limerick.... ;), just messing Limerick people, its a badge of honour thing !!). Place was jammed with knackers, many of them legless drunk.

That said I'm sure mid-week in September and not being out late nights you would have a grand time.

As an alternative, but along the same lines, you could bring the car to Rhyl in North Wales. An easy drive from Hollyhead, no baggage charges, bring loads with you and home again, probably cheaper on the ferry as compared to 4 flights, taxes & baggage annoyance.

Rhyl has the same 1950's seaside holiday "charm"/nostalgia but is not quite as run down or rough as Blackpool. It has the sun centre (looked quite good - peered in the window, was late in the evening). Fine big beach - though personally I like more sheltered beaches - and a really well redeveloped beach front. Cracking curryhouse. Does have some derelict building and the fascination with slots machines, though neither to the extent of Blackpool.

Its also near Chester (about 1/2 hour away) which is great for shopping (retail parks) or olde worlde town centre touristy ramblings. Plus you are near Liverpool & Manchester if you want to check out sights, shopping or soccer matches/stadia.

So if you were willing to drive then Rhyl, as a base, would be my pick over Blackpool.

Many thanks for all the replies .....

I think if its going to be expensive (and it seems to have having priced writsbands for pleasure beach etc) then I might have a look at somewhere else.....

Think I am remembering it with 30 year old rose tinted glasses ;)

Ice - We have stayed on a couple of occasions (with children 6 and 3) in the De Vere Herons Reach hotel, 4*, on the edge of blackpool (set well back from the sea front). It is a very family-friendly hotel. Right next to it is Blackpool Zoo and an attractive park, Stanley Park, with a boating lake etc. Staying here allows you to dip in and out of the main attractions as you please. Check out the DeVere website which has some good offers usually. Blackpool is well past it's heyday but still a charming place to spend a few days with the family.

i think if you have any concerns you should not risk it especially with kids.
You should try Ballina in County Mayo. There is fantastic fishing for the kids. If you catch one they will cook it locally. The restaraunts are fantastic. You are only a few miles from enniscrone beach/waterworld/golf. Ballina is one of the most under rated places in the country. You will enjoy. PLUS no flying

Back