Opinions: Limited Budget - Opt for Oil/Gas + Solar or Wood Pellet

apple1

Folks,

Currently involved in new build and like most have many desires but limited budget. On the plumbing side, I'd love to opt for a number of the renewable offerings incl. wood pellet boiler, wood pellet stove & solar but find myself having to choose between some options. If I assume I've approx. €8/9K available, I'd like to read opinions on whether I should opt for a conventional heat source (oil/gas) and a solar solution for DHW, or to spend the total budget on a good wood pellet boiler. For info, I'm building a TF bungalow with UFH on ground floor & provisions for rads in attic for future converstion.
Thanks in advance, apple1

I don't know what size your house is but it cost me 7500 for the under floor system & boiler for a 3000 sq ft house. ( 5000 for the under floor with mainfolds stats etc, and the boiler a grant condensing boiler came in at 2500 for the house. That was materials only. It took 2.5 days for 2 of us to put the pipework in ( not included in the price) and the plumber another week in the boiler house afterwards ( not included in the price). All the stats had to be wired 11 in total that isn't included in the price either . I think your heating budget is very tight. If you are going down the solar route for hot water you will need a dual coil tank instead of an ordinary hot water tank.

Thanks Bertie. I haven't included the UFH in this aspect of the budget. I've 8/9K specifically earmarked for the heat source. So many conflicting reports about pellets & solar that I'm looking for input from posters who have one or the other installed as opposed to speculative opinion.

Back