Opinions about this one-time NI car, please?

Lynnie

Hi all,

I have seen a '00 Polo for sale privately that I am interested in. 62k miles. Rang the seller earlier on and am just wondering what people make of the situation...

He said he bought it in the North a few months ago, VRT etc paid and numberplates changed. What kind of documentation should I be looking for to confirm that everything's in order regarding the VRT? Do I need to check re: outstanding loans/HPI in the North as well as the South?

Car got NCT on Monday, the cert is valid until 06/2008 - was he just being a bit of a chancer driving it without an NCT until he came to sell or could it mean something sinister?

Also, he said that there was no service history/logbook with the car when he brought it down as they had been mislaid by the previous owner. Is that a big issue? Should I be hearing alarm bells and running away at 100 mph?

In terms of the bodywork, he said one of the front wings was resprayed by previous owner but he doesn't know if that's because it had a knock with a lampost or smashed into a truck!

Sorry for the long windedness but I basically have no clue as it's my first car :) Any opinions on it most welcome.

Probably took some time to get it onto the national system. before he could get an NCT.

Should be fine. Get him to bring along all the docs he has service history NCT etc and have a good look over it.

Make sure the VIN matches the documents.

If it is a good car and good price then all should be fine.

As sprayed wing is no prob. Check the shut lines around the bonnet and door.Look under the bonnet and see if there are signs of crash repair oter than the wing. COuld been a bad scratch or dent that was cheaper to replace the wing than knock out.

Or elese you could head north and see if you can pick a cheap car your self.

If you are unsure bring along a mechaninc or AA man.

[Also, he said that there was no service history/logbook with the car when he brought it down as they had been mislaid by the previous owner. Is that a big issue? Should I be hearing alarm bells and running away at 100 mph?]

This is a big issue as it means the milage cannot be verified.

Can't see how one could get a legit Irish reg without the registration from uk.

Smells a bit fishy.

How much is the car?

Will probably have to shop around alright... was just hoping that this one might be genuine as the interior trim in it is an awful lot nicer than in lots of others I've seen.

It's a 3 dr hatchback I'm looking for, rather than a saloon [although they seem to be cheaper!]

I have a simple rule in these matters; no service history = no interest.

There can be genuine reasons for it's loss and there are still methods to verify the milage but it's unneeded hassle and would greatly hamper selling the car on when the time came.

It's a buyers market out there and a little patience will get you the car you want for a good price.

Also the fact that he bought it a few months ago and now selling again is suspicious. Either there are problems with the car, or he's a dealer masquerading as a private seller.

Back