Opinion on planning for extension

Rujib

Hi,

I have a farm cottage which is a two bedroom cottage. The second bedroom is located in what seemed to me to be an existing extension built at the rear of the property. I recently noticed in the ordinance survey map that the presumed extension shows up on the map. This indicates to me that it is not really an extension but an integral part of the original property. It is 180 square feet outside dimensions. Indeed it looks under the surface like it is part of the original structure in the sense that it is built of stone, has similar roof materials (liscannor flag) as main house. It also has similar old style internal and external plastering (lime based).

I am proposing to demolish this part of the property and replace with a one bedroom / bathroom / small utility extension totaling 510 sq foot outside dimensions.

My question is could I do this without planning under the 400 sq ft max allowable considering I am only increasing the total square footage by 330 sq feet (510 minus 180).
I will of course be complying with all other aspects of requlations such as it will be 100% at rear of main cottage, cannot be seen from the front and will comply with building regulations. Also it is very secluded with no neighbouring houses visible from any part of my property and so my proposed development cannot interfere with any neighbours.

Would appreciate any input.

Thanks

Call your local planning office and ask them. It seems like you are in the clear but there's no harm in checking it out.
If you know a builder or architect it would be a good idea to ask them as well.

Back