Opera in Verona

olivia

Can anyone recommend a reliable discounted ticket booking website for opera in Verona or have any general advice to offer. We will be in Italy end of June/beg July and my husband would love to 'take in' an opera (if thats what one does to opera?).

Verona is beautiful, try and take a trip out to Lake Garda for a few days, very relaxed, small town called Peschiera, only short train ride from Verona. Try this link
[broken link removed]

Hi Olivia,

I was there last Monday! Its fabulous, already the summer has hit full blast. Right now they are showing IADA and had the great big sphynx outside, it looks very impressive. The only tickets available (for last Sunday night when I was trying to go) began at 100 euro (so Im no help Im afraid).

However, if youve time you should go to Mantua, only an hour away by train or 30mins driving. Its a beautiful town and off the beaten tourist track (you dont have any of the tourist traps youll find in verona, guys trying to sell you pieces of string and louis vuitton handbags) there are some beautiful things to see there including the royal Ducal palace which I think is the largest palace in europe and the tea rooms. But the town itself is gorgeous situated between 3 lakes and with lovely italian restaurants, bars and (shoe) shops.

Be sure and bring your mosquito spray.

enjoy
cas

Hi

Would love to take in an open-air opera in Verona this summer.

What airport is nearest to Verona? What's the best way of getting from airport to Verona - public transport or car hire?

Any good hotels in Verona - all ideas welcome

Thanks

Can anyone recommend a reliable discounted ticket booking website for opera in Verona or have any general advice to offer. We will be in Italy end of June/beg July and my husband would love to 'take in' an opera (if thats what one does to opera?).

You can buy tickets from the following site.

[broken link removed]

I'm hoping to go in August when I'll be near Verona. A friend of mine was there a few years ago and he said it was a fantastic experience. He went for the cheapest tickets at the time and said that if he was going again he'd upgrade because your guaranteed a sore bum after sitting on concrete for a couple of hours, also the legs of the person behind are in your back. This is why the difference in price between the seats is so high, but the overall experience sounded great.

Hi

Would love to take in an open-air opera in Verona this summer.

What airport is nearest to Verona? What's the best way of getting from airport to Verona - public transport or car hire?

Any good hotels in Verona - all ideas welcome

Thanks

We flew Ryanair to Bergamo and took the train to Verona. Very pleasant indeed! Train info is [broken link removed]

Last edited:
Gianni

Thanks for this

Did you stay in a hotel in Verona? If so, which one?

Sim

Opera in Verona is a fantastic experience. It's on late, which is great as it could be too hot earlier. I think it started about 9.15 and finished about 1 am so it's a long night - depends on the opera, Aida is one of the longer ones and that's what I went to last year. The whole city buzzes and all the restaurants are full of people having dinner before opera, some can be very dressed up (some not as holiday wardrobe does not always run to heels and cocktail dresses). Even if you get the cheap seats on the stone steps you can hire cushions, but disadvantage of these also is that they are unreserved so you have to go in early to get a spot. Dearer seats are reserved so you can arrive nearer to starting time. Icecreams etc in intervals are very expensive so be prepared to either splurge or go without. I was in a reserved seat but spoke to somebody who went to cheap seats and she said sound not great - this could depend on the wind. If it is all you could afford, I would still go for it as it is a brilliant experience. Verona itself is a very pretty place, you can visit Juliet's balcony amongst other things. Don't have any hotel names to hand but I would go for one right in the centre if possible for the atmosphere.

If I fly into Milan Bergamo, I will land at 21:15.

The following day, I will need to take a train to Verona.

Can anyone recommend a hotel close to the airport for one night's stay or would it be better to stay in a hotel close to the train station?

Would also like to stay in a hotel in the centre of Verona - is this close to where the opera is on.

Thanks

Take a look at www.hotelbologna.vr.it I didn't stay there but ate in the restaurant which was lovely. It looks like what you might call a 'cosy' hotel, bang in the middle of Verona, stone's throw from Arena (which by the way you won't need directions for, you can't miss it!)

Does anyone have any other hotel suggestions for Verona ? I'm working my way through Tripadvisor and Virtualtourist, but 1st hand recommendations from AAM are worth a lot more . . .

Our plan is to go to 2 performances in the Arena in August. I presume (but don't know) that the 20,000 people coming out after midnight cause a bit of traffic/taxi/transport chaos, so I think we would be looking for somewhere within walking distance of the arena. I imagine a lot of other people are also thinking the same though . . .

I don't want to compromise and get somewhere that is near at the expense of being too small or having no cafe/bar/lounge area to sit around in.

Any other hints for going to the opera there ? I gather from other reviews that the un-reserved seats aren't up to much because they are a) unreserved so you have to be there early, b) cramped, c) hard, d) sideways on, e) a long way from the stage and so on . . . As a result I think we will be going for some of the premuim (€100+ seats).

Cheers,

z