Opening new current account with debts in other banks

• Thread starter moneyminded
  • Start date
M

moneyminded

Hi all, I am new to this site, but would like your help. I have debts totalling upto 40000 euros including cc with different banks, personal loans etc. I went back to home country and was living there from past 10 months. means i have ignored all the letters and notices whatever i have received to date as i am not here in Ireland.

Now I am back to ireland and willing to pay all the debts and recently found a job as well. I want to do this after i opened a new current account where my salary can go through. Recently i have been onto one of the banks Halifax where they said they will do the credit checks even for new current account opening. Now, would i be able to get new current account opened without a problem? and also what is the effect on my credit report after opening an new account. does the other banks can identify my address if I operate a current account in Ireland through credit checks.?

Your ICB records presumably show most or all of your debts and missed/ignored repayments. I presume that banks will check these records when checking out an application for any products. Why don't you pay your debts?

I would like to pay all of them, but i need to settle up first for which i need my first 2 or 3 months salary for that. so if i open a new account would my creditors know my chnged address or ph no etc through ICB.

The new bank will not check the ICB for new accounts unless you are looking for credit. If you are looking for a bog standard current account with no credit you will be fine.

But Halifax said it will take 5 working days to open the account bcos they have to get it approved after the credit check to open a current account. I said i don't need overdraft, cheques , cc etc but still they say they will do credit check

That is their prerogative if they want to check. The other major banks certainly won't bother if no credit facilities are requested.