Opening multiple Excel files in seperate programs

S

sunnyday

Can any of the Excel experts help me solve this. I have a few Excel files I access simultaneously. But they all open in the same Excel "program" ie. only one Excel tab appears at the bottom of my screen. I have to minimise one file to see the other etc. I want each file to open in a seperate "program" so that I can select different files by clicking on the relevent Excel tab at the bottom of the screen (on the Task Manager bar I think you call it??) They used to open like that but latelt they don't, so I know that what I want to happen is possible, I just don't know why it doesn't anymore, or how to return it to that setup.

Hi Sunnyday,

What version of excel are you running?

Have you tried opening the multiple workbooks using ms explorer? (incidently when you want to close them all try Shift+File and you will see you have a 'close all' option)
Im using ms excel 2002 and windows 2k and have no difficulty seeing the multiple excel icons at the bottom of my screen.

ajapale

Or maybe the setting has been knocked off? Try Tools/Options ... and make sure the "Windows in Taskbar" item is enabled.

Or maybe the setting has been knocked off? Try Tools/Options ... and make sure the "Windows in Taskbar" item is enabled.
Got it in one Fr. Thank you so much, what a relief! Ajapale wasn't too far behind.
Thanks folks.

Sorry to go back to this, but the damn thing keeps reverting to a single "program". How can I set it permanently to have windows in the toolbar?

There's nobody else using the machine while you're around?

Maybe someone else can jump in here but I know that MS Word has a normal.dot template which holds some default settings. I don't know if anything similar exists for Excel. Or maybe there's some macro running at start up which is automatically disabling this feature? Or maybe it could be a privilege issue where you're logged in on a non-admin account where saving settings isn't permitted.

Or have a read of .

Yes, FrD excel has a personal.xls which starts up automatically and serves much the same purpose as normal.dot in word.
ajapale

Dougal to the rescue again! The spreadsheets are mostly shared across a network, so that's obviously why it keeps reverting.
Thanks again folks :)

Back