Opening Bank Account in Ireland

B

bohica45

I am an Irish citizen who left Ireland around 10 years ago and am working and living in the USA. I am married to a US citizen and have a green card. I am waiting for a large inheritance to come through very shortly in Ireland and will need to open a bank account to deposit the money into. What Irish bank will let me open an account as a non-resident and what documents will I need? I will be inheriting a house also that needs repairs which I would like to keep in Ireland so I will need to be able to access the money and pay for these repairs by cheque. I do have utility bills for the house in Ireland. Can anyone offer me any advice as to what is best to do? I have a USA bank account and may transfer some funds over later. I travel over and back every three months or so.

we opened our current account with Permanent TSB, you just need a couple of forms of id and your American bank statement. I am a British citizen and there wasn't any problem. my UK address is on the Irish bank statements. also, i had no irish utility accounts at the time but i think maybe i produced a couple of UK ones for good measure.

Thank you Mosstown. I did think of not saying I was not a resident as I have the house adress in Ireland on the utility bills, and just tried to open an account but I think it might be best to be honest and say I do not presently live there. I will bring over as many documents from the US that I think I will need when I visit again in March.

If you're non-resident you will need to bring 2 proofs of your address ie. a bank statement plus a utility bill, both dated within the last 6 months. Not a bad idea to bring your passport plus driving licence.
Better to have too much as opposed to not enough. It wouldn't be easy for you to go back home to get whatever is needed!
Once you have all the required documentation there shouldn't be a problem in any bank.

You will need to sign a Non-Resident declaration. By signing this you will not be liable for DIRT on savings interest - this only applies if you have more than €6,500 (I think ) on deposit. Remember that you will have to declare this income in the US and may be taxed on it there.