Opening as a Bed and Breakfast - what to do?

AlastairSC

I am looking into using my house as a B & B. I'll have three rooms so it's under the pp threshold. Apart from changing insurance what do I need to do? How do I get a Cash and Carry card, for example? Is it worthwhile registering with Failte or not? What expenses are allowable?

Advice welcome

Have a look at this previous thread.

There's a row of long-established, 'upmarket' B&Bs near where I work in Limerick, and in the last year or two half a dozen of them have closed or have 'For Sale' signs up...

I haven't stayed in a B&B in about 5 years and wouldn't consider it unless I had no other option. Good value hotels have killed the B&B and unless you're offering some other value added service I don't see how a B&B can represent a viable business proposition.

Carpenter said:
I haven't stayed in a B&B in about 5 years and wouldn't consider it unless I had no other option. Good value hotels have killed the B&B and unless you're offering some other value added service I don't see how a B&B can represent a viable business proposition.

B&Bs are still viable in may areas.
True, competition has generally increased due to hotels cutting their charges due to oversupply in the past few years but B&Bs can still undercut hotels and appeal to a large number of tourists who don't want to stay in an anonymous hotel.

The factors to be considered are:

Your area: Are you located in an area of interest for tourists? Are the hotels/guesthouses in the area regularly booked out?

What is your target market: Foreign tourists, domestic tourists, salespeople, weekending couples? Will it be seasonal or all year round demand?

Competition: Are there many B&Bs or hotels in your area? Will you be able to stand out or will you be relying on overflow from existing accomodation providers?

Your house: Are your rooms en-suite, will you have tvs in each room. Is your house clean and well maintained?

Personality: B&Bs are all about the owner. The rooms and the price may be right but you need to build a reputation and they best way is word of mouth. If you get on well with your guests not only will they be more likely to return they will also recommend you to friends and family.

Bord Failte: I think a Bord Failte registration is of less value than ever. I have developed a couple of websites for guesthouse & B&Bs and from looking at the visitor statistics most people are finding accomodation directly through a google search. Last year the site where getting a high percentage of hits from the bord failte site but this year it is almost negligible. 90% of visits to the sites come from search engines.

Thanks for the advice so far. I think I actually have the safety and market stuff working out at the moment. It's really the financial end of it I was hoping to sort out on this site, particularly the two issues of allowable expenses (what is allowed, what proportions for the B&B and private part of the house, how this is calculated) and how to source supplies from a cash and carry.

Not sure about the expenses.
About the cash & carry, quickest way is to give your local one a call and see what they require. Think you may need to be registered for vat.

Do cash and carry's even give value any more? I often see local businesses such as cafe's etc shopping in the large supermarkets - the majority of food you would require in a b&b would be zero rated for vat anyway.
As for what's allowable, firstly the inputs ie bacon, eggs etc, (don't be sneaking any yourself).
Secondly the upgrade expenses would be capitalised (generally) and you would receive an allowance over 8 yrs for these. Eg it costs 100K to upgrade the house, you can deduct 12.5K p.a as an expense (presuming that it's totally for B&B purposes.
General running costs, a percentage of heating, cable, esb etc depending probably on floor area and occupancy. Wages too of course.
All in all, I agree with a lot of the posters, the tax break hotels have killed the b&b (i for one am not disappointed), and this will only get worse as the years go on.

I wouldn't agree that hotels have killed the B&B.
I think they have definitely hit them hard but perhaps they will only get rid of the more casual B&B. Or if a hotel has opened next door.

But in the small towns throughout the country and along the coastline that are too small for a couple of large hotels the B&B & guesthouse will still be in demand.

To survive in the future B&Bs will have to market themselves better or provide a more personal service. I'd rather stay in an upmarket small guesthouse with nice helpful owners than an anonymous hotel with minimum wage foreign staff who couldn't tell you anything about the locality.

Back